FEATURES

FEATURES

Marian Robinson, the mother of former US First Lady Michelle Obama, has died at the age of 86, the Obama family announced in a statement on Friday.

In a statement posted on X, formerly Twitter, Mrs Obama said, “My mom Marian Robinson was my rock, always there for whatever I needed.

“She was the same steady backstop for our entire family, and we are heartbroken to share she passed away today.”

In a separate tweet, Mr Obama said, “there was and will be only one Marian Robinson.

“In our sadness, we are lifted up by the extraordinary gift of her life, and we will spend the rest of ours trying to live up to her example.”

Robinson was born in Chicago in 1937 and raised her children, Michelle and Craig, on the city’s South Side. She later moved to the White House to support her daughter’s family during Barack Obama’s presidency.

The Obama family’s statement reads in part:

“Marian Lois Shields Robinson — our mother, mother-in-law, and grandmother — had a way of summing up the truths about life in a word or two, maybe a quick phrase that made everyone around her stop and think.

“Her wisdom came off as almost innate, as something she was born with, but in reality it was hard-earned, fashioned by her deep understanding that the world’s roughest edges could always be sanded down with a little grace.

“At every step, as our families went down paths none of us could have predicted, she remained our refuge from the storm.

“On Election Night in 2008, when the news broke that Barack would soon shoulder the weight of the world, she was there, holding his hand.

“With a healthy nudge, she agreed to move to the White House with Michelle and Barack. We needed her. The girls needed her. And she ended up being our rock through it all.”

Media personality and actress, Stephanie Coker Aderinokun has revealed that she battled with PCOS and failed IVF for years.
 
According to her, the condition made her lose her baby.
 
 
In an interview with Chude Jideonwo, she revealed that she nearly took her own life after her second round of IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) failed after spending over $40,000 and travelled to Los Angeles for the procedure.
 
Following the failed IVF, she recounted how she confided in a friend, expressing her feeling that the baby had rejected her.
 
Stephanie Coker explained that IVF was her only option due to her diagnosis of PCOS, a condition that caused her to bleed excessively to the point of fainting and being rushed to the hospital last year. She described being confined to a wheelchair and, at one point, having to sleep outside in the garden because of severe internal heat.
 
 
Adding to her difficulties, that same year, her husband lost his election amid intense public scrutiny.
 
“I didn’t have my period for a whole year. PCOS made me choose IVF because mine was very severe. My doctor told me mine was life-threatening; I ended up in a wheelchair and was vomiting blood. 
 
“I got pregnant on the first IVF, the second one failed and actually I was standing in front of a car just to let the car hit me,” she said partly.
 
Watch the video below

Media

Last modified on Friday, 31 May 2024 15:47

A 39-year-old man, Yusuf Umar from Dagu village in Warji LGA, Bauchi State, has been arrested by the State Police Command for attempting to sell his 5-year-old daughter for N1.5 million.

The arrest was disclosed by the Commissioner of Police, Auwal Musa Mohammed, during a briefing at the Police headquarters in Bauchi.

According to him, “Man was apprehended while attempting to sell his biological daughter. Detectives of the Command arrested one Yusuf Umar aged 49yrs of Dagu village via Warji LGA of Bauchi State. The suspect who claimed to be a staff with Warji Local Government area council was arrested for trafficking his 5-year-old biological child.”

The CP added that “On the 26th May, 2024, the accused took the infant (5-year-old) daughter from the estranged wife in Warji LGA under the pretence that he would take her to his sister in Bauchi town.”

He added that “Unknown to the mother, he had already arranged to hand over the girl to an unknown person, not knowing that he is a Police detective, where the defendant was arrested in a Hotel in Bauchi after he bargained for N1.5m to give up his biological daughter.”


“Additionally, the defendant to ensure his interest, sent the sum of N40000 as transportation fare to the person who linked him up with the buyer,” he added.

Auwal Musa Mohammed added, “I have directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of Criminal Intelligent Department (CID) to discreetly investigate the crux of the matter to unravel more motives behind the defendants actions, after which he will be charged to court upon completion of the investigation for the established offence.”

While answering questions from Journalists, Yusuf Umar confirmed that he actually attempted to sell his daughter and even negotiated with the potential buyer agreeing to sell at the sum of N1.5m.

Asked of the whereabouts of the daughter, he said, “The last time I saw her was last Monday when I brought her to be sold. I am praying that no harm will happen to her. I love her and want to see her again.”

Nigerian gospel singer Yinka Ayefele has said having children despite his spinal cord injury was a miracle.

He noted that any man with cord injury might not be able to impregnate a woman, stressing that his case was rare.

Ayefele spoke on the ‘Curiosity Made Me Ask’ show hosted by content creator, Bae U Barbie.

 

He debunked claims that he “bought” his children, clarifying that he impregnated his wife and she gave birth to their triplets.

The host, “I’m shocked you said you have three beautiful and amazing kids. My question is, how did you do it?”

Ayefele replied, “How did I do what? Curious that I impregnated my wife? How did I get three kids? You would have seen pregnant women before. I impregnated my wife and she got pregnant and had triplets.

“You thought I bought them? I don’t understand what you mean. I know you are curious, you want to talk about my spinal cord injury. Anybody who has a spinal cord injury might not be able to impregnate a lady. Yeah, it’s a fact, it’s one out of a hundred.”

He began his music career in 1997 after he was involved in an automobile accident which damaged his spinal cord and made him reliant on a wheelchair.

He is married to Temitope Titilope and they are blessed with three children.

President Bola Tinubu has said the reintroduction of the old national anthem was always a priority for him.

Tinubu made this known on Thursday during a meeting with the leadership of the Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF) at the State House in Abuja.

The Nigerian leader said the National Assembly made the law reverting to the old national anthem and he does not have a choice but to obey the legislation.

He said Nigeria’s diversity should be protected and celebrated, adding that the country’s population should not be seen as a burden.

He said: “Let me allude to something that happened yesterday. The change of national anthem, ‘Nigeria, we hail thee’.

“Some people say, okay… say what? Is that your priority? It’s my priority. I agree with the national assembly. If they make law, I’ve got to obey that law, or we disagree openly and close the chapter.”

“But the question of diversity. Who gave us the name Nigeria? Is it not Britain? Or somewhere? Have we changed our name? We are Nigerians. Our passport shows that.

“As long as we are Nigerians and one family, we remain and protect our diversity and love one another as brothers and sisters.

“It is God Almighty that puts you in that particular place and makes you a member of that family. You have no control over it.

“When I came begging for votes, I didn’t say vote for me as a Yoruba man, I said vote for me as Bola Ahmed Tinubu.”

Recall that in 2022, Tinubu had said in an interview that he would bring back the first national anthem if he had his way.

Two years later, Tinubu signed a bill into law that returned the old national anthem themed: ‘Nigeria, we hail thee’.

The return of the old anthem had divided opinions, with some commentators criticising the move as yet another case of misplaced priority given the plethora of challenges confronting Nigerians.

The governor of Imo State, Hope Uzodinma has condemned the killing of soldiers in Abia State, south-east Nigeria.

Naija News earlier reported that masked gunmen on Thursday morning, attacked and killed four soldiers in Obikabia Junction in Aba, the commercial hub of the Abia State.

The assailants who burnt the soldiers’ patrol truck were said to be enforcing the sit-at-home order declared by the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) across the South-east to mark the Biafra Day which is celebrated annually in the region.

Reacting to the development, Uzodinma who also doubles as the chairperson of the South-east Governors’ Forum, described the attack and killing as “unfortunate.”

He said the attack and killing of the soldiers would act as a setback to efforts being made to solve rising attacks in the South-east.

The governor stated this while briefing reporters in Owerri, the Imo State capital.

He subsequently called on security agencies to track down those who killed the soldiers in the state.

“On behalf of my brother governors in the South-east Governors’ Forum, I condemn that incident and loss of the lives of soldiers who were on their duty posts.

“Without any provocation, they were attacked by the men of the underworld. I want to condemn that and also to urge security agents to go all out and ensure that those behind that are caught and brought to book.

“The unfortunate thing is that it is going to act as a major setback to the peace process which the governors from the South-east have been pursuing in talking to the federal government, security agencies, and other critical stakeholders on how best to resolve the problem of insecurity in the South-east,” he said.

A Federal High Court in Abuja has granted bail to a Facebook content creator , Chioma Okoli, in the sum of N5 million with two sureties.

Okoli was arraigned on Tuesday, May 28, 2024 before Justice Peter Lifu but was later remanded at Suleja Correctional Center in Abuja.


The accused pleaded not guilty to the two counts of conspiracy and cyberstalking levelled against her.

In his ruling on the bail application filed by her lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, on Friday, the judge granted her bail with two sureties in like sum.

Justice Lifu held that one of the sureties must be her spouse or blood relations and must be resident in Abuja with verified means of livelihood.

She must also deposit her passport with the court, if she has one.

The court held that the ruling was predicated on Section 365 (5) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended on the presumption of innocence. The court held that denying her bail would be a wrong application of discretion and tantamount to pre-trial judgment and judicial rascality.

Naija News reports that the case has been adjourned to June 13, 2024 for trial.

Recall that the CEO of Erisco Foods Limited, Eric Omeofia, alleged in 2023 that a negative product review made by Chioma Okoli adversely impacted his business after she said that the Nagiko Tomato Mix she bought had too much sugar.

Okoli was arrested by the police in September 2023 with her lawyer, Inibehe Effiong, raising the alarm that the fundamental rights of his client were being breached by the police and Omeofia.

A 40-year-old Nigerian s3x worker, Rose Ikem, has been sentenced to five years imprisonment with hard labour by a Circuit Court at Asokwa, Kumasi, Ghana, for trafficking young girls from Nigeria to Konongo in the Ashanti region for pr*stitution.

Ikem, who was convicted of human trafficking and assault this week, will also compensate four of her victims, whom she lured from Nigeria, for GHȼ24,000 with each of them receiving GHȼ6,000.00. 



Her latest victims were aged between 17 and 24 years.

According to police prosecution, the convict has been trafficking young girls from Nigeria to Konongo, deploying them into pr*stitution, with some of them being subjected to abuse.

On April 23, 2024, police received a complaint from a resident of Konongo about the treatment being meted out to the victims by the convict.

Police proceeded to the Konongo SSNIT area residence of Ikem but met her absence.

According to ASP Stephen Ofori who led the police prosecution, the police detected that the victims were locked up in a room, and the whereabout of Ikem was unknown.

Police then laid an ambush until she resurfaced and was subsequently arrested.

When she was forced to open the room, police rescued two victims (name withheld) with the two others who ran away being rescued the following day, with the help of the complainant

The court, presided over by His Honour Fred Obikyere, was told how Ikem tasked her victims, who had worked between three months and two weeks, to make a daily remittance of GHȼ500 to her. This amounted to a total of GHȼ89,000.

According to ASP Ofori, any time the victims failed to meet their target, Ikem assaulted them physically, causing one of the victims to fracture her left hand.

The court sentenced her to 5 years with hard labour for trafficking and 12 months for causing harm. Both sentences will run concurrently.

Former Governor of Osun State, Bisi Akande has made a new claim.
 
He stated that President Bola Tinubu battled spiritual forces before his inauguration in May 2023.
 
 
He disclosed this while speaking at a one-day lecture organised by an Arewa think tank in Kaduna on Thursday.
 
The former interim chairman of the All Progressives Congress, APC, said it was not surprising that the opposition tried to prevent Tinubu from winning at the polls.
 
“The tension and threats generated in the country by the opposition with the view to deny Tinubu the presidential victory in the presidential election were not surprising,” he said.
 
“Towards the last elections, the prophecy was thick that Bola Ahmed Tinubu would not become the APC candidate, but he did become.
 
“Religious clerics of one belief and the other became sleepless for him not to win the presidential elections, he won!”
 
He continued, “Thereafter, spiritual threats and political manoeuvring began that he would not be inaugurated as a Nigerian president, he assumed the presidency.
 
“The battle then shifted to the judicial sword-crossing that he should be removed from the presidency, but his presidency was upheld.
 
“Other predictions were that he would have no health to manage the office, but he remained divinely healthy”.
 
He further revealed that Nigeria has been waxing stronger despite permutations from different quarters, adding that President Tinubu’s one-year anniversary was celebrated in grand style.

The Sokoto State Police Command has arrested ten members of a human trafficking and child abduction syndicate in the state.

Naija News reports that the state Commissioner of Police, Ali Kaigama, stated this while addressing journalists at the command headquarters in the state capital on Thursday.

Kaigama disclosed that the suspects include one Bala Abubakar of the Tudun Wada area of Sokoto, who sold out a total of 28 children, including six of his biological children.

The commissioner noted that the rescued children had been handed to the state orphanage home for proper care.

According to Kaigama, the suspects gave their victims to Kulu Dongoyaro and Elizabeth Ojah in exchange for between N150,000 and N250,000, claiming they were being taken to an Abuja-based NGO willing to shoulder the responsibility of their welfare.

In another development, Kaigama disclosed the arrest of one Saifullah Hassan of Gunmi Local Government area of Zamfara State, who was alleged to have killed one Balikisu Garba of Gidan Dare behind Jummat Mosque at the Ifeoma Hotel.

He said, “On May 24, 2024, at about 0620 hrs, Mr John, the manager of the Ifeoma Hotel in the Phase 1 Old Airport area of Sokoto, reported that a woman identified as Balikisu Garba of Gidan Dare was found dead.

“On receipt of the report, police operatives from the Old Airport Division led by the DPO swung into action, and as a result, the suspect bag, which was abandoned after the act, containing some receipts of payment and some SIM cards, was recovered.

“These recoveries led to the identification of the suspect as one Saifullah Hassan of Gunmi LGA of Zamfara State, which intensified the investigation, and the suspect was later traced and arrested in Funtua, Katsina State.”

The CP assured the state’s residents that the command remains committed to upholding law and order and commends the governor, Ahmed Aliyu, for his support throughout the investigation process.

He called on the good people of the state to continue cooperating with the command to create a safer environment.