FEATURES

FEATURES

Ogun State Police Command has raised concerns over a significant increase in reports of missing persons in the state.

The Command’s spokesperson, Omolola Odutola, made this known in a statement in Abeokuta on Tuesday.

Odutola stated that the command had noticed an unprecedented rise in the number of missing persons across all age groups.

She explained that only a small fraction of the individuals had been found, with many regrettably not returning home.

The police image maker urged residents to remain vigilant and more security-conscious while prioritising their safety.

She further stated that as a proactive and community-oriented force, the command was committed to raising public awareness about this concerning trend.

“We encourage everyone to prioritise their safety by maintaining a heightened sense of security to avoid becoming a victim.

“The Commissioner of Police, Lanre Ogunlowo, has outlined essential measures and guidelines to keep residents informed about the most pressing issues.

“Based on insights from individuals who were rescued, the Commissioner advises parents not to allow their children to use commercial transportation services with strangers.

“Additionally, he encourages restless youth to activate the digital communication and sharing features on their mobile devices, especially when traveling or in moments of distress,” Odutola said.

The PPRO reiterated that the public could contact the police control room at 09164859299 and the Police Public Relations Department at 09159578888 for assistance.

Delta State Police Command led by CP Olufemi Abaniwonda has confirmed the arrest of an 18-year-old boy, Oghenetejiei Kosini over alleged defilement of a 2-year-old baby girl, his landlady’s daughter.

It was learnt that the suspect allegedly defiled the baby on 12 December, 2024.

A source hinted that the mother of the baby was busy outside when the suspect sneaked into their apartment and carried out the heinous act.

He was arrested by the Orerokpe Police Division after the mother of the baby discovered the incident, as the baby bled profusely.

Information revealed that the suspect boasted that nothing would happen after he was released by the police.

However, following an intervention by a human right activist, Comrade Israel Joe, he was re-arrested.

Comrade Joe condemned the act and insisted that the Police must prosecute the suspect to serve as a deterrent to others.

He said the Investigating Police Officer, IPO, in charge of the matter earlier released the suspect on December 24, 2024 against the provision of extant laws.

“In a quest to frustrate the investigations, the IPO also allegedly refused to give them a form to go for a medical check up at the general hospital with an excuse that the said boy did not deny and had put it down on his statement that he actually did it.”

“Where on earth would the police condescend to a level of not carrying out proper investigation, holding to the confessional statement alone of a suspect that could be denied in court tomorrow?” He queried.

He urged the Delta State Commissioner of Police to charge the suspect to court as soon as an investigation is concluded.

The management of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) says corps members in the country will soon start receiving ₦77,000 as their monthly allowance. 

NYSC Director General, Brigadier General YD Ahmed, stated this on Tuesday in Abuja, according to a statement by NYSC spokesperson Caroline Embu.

General Ahmed, who said his administration places a high priority on Corps welfare, added that arrangements for the payment of new corps members’ allowance have been concluded.

The increase of the monthly allowance for corps members followed the review of Nigeria’s minimum wage from ₦30,000  to ₦70,000 in July 2024.

In 2020, the NYSC increased the allowances of corps members from ₦19,800 to ₦33,000, months after a new minimum wage bill of ₦30,000 was signed.

In July 2024, President Bola Tinubu signed the minimum wage bill into law, ending months of deliberations between government authorities, labour unions, and the private sector.

Two persons have been injured in an accident in front of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) headquarters office in Lagos.

A statement by the agency on Wednesday said the sad incident occurred after the bus had a brake failure.

 

“We just recorded a sad incident Infront of LASTMA HQ inward Oshodi Oke on Apapa Oshodi Exp way.

“A commercial bus had a brake failure and rammed into the Culvert. There are 2 victims on ground who are about to be taken to the nearby hospital. 

“Our officials are also at the location to maintain sanity and ease the traffic backlog,” LASTMA wrote on its X handle.

 

The Group Chief Executive Officer, Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), Mallam Mele Kyari has disclosed that he went from being an Almajiri school pupil to becoming the head of the national oil company.

Kyari stated this on his X handle, @MKKyari, on Wednesday as he celebrated his 60th birthday.

He expressed profound gratitude to Nigeria for the opportunities that came his way from his humble beginnings to the height he has attained.

He thanked Nigeria and particularly former President Muhammadu Buhari and incumbent President Bola Tinubu for the opportunity to serve as the last GMD of the NNPC and the pioneer CEO of the NNPCL.

Reflecting on his life, Kyari stated that he walked through good and bad times, travails and triumphs, pains and happiness, failures and successes and many more, noting that only the sufficiency of Allah could explain them.

He wrote “Allah, by his grace, spared my life to this exceptional day, making it my 60th year from birth, even much earlier on the Hijri calendar.

“I am profoundly grateful to my country for giving me the opportunity to grow from an Almajiri (Tsangaya) school pupil to become the CEO of Africa’s largest energy company.

“Even more particular, I deeply appreciate the exceptional privilege given to me by Presidents Muhammadu Buhari and Bola Ahmed Tinubu to serve as the last GMD of the NNPC and the pioneer CEO of the NNPC Ltd.

“Reflecting backwards alone can’t account for the profoundly eventful life I spent to this date, walking through good and bad times, travails and triumphs, pains and happiness, fails and successes and many more that only the sufficiency of Allah will explain.

“At this milestone, I feel the obligation to serve with even greater conviction and with elevated expectation of eternal recompense so deeply pleasing.

“I am hugely indebted to my family for being nearly absent for most of my later years serving our nation and the common good.

“My deep appreciation to my family, friends and associates, my colleagues at work and my teachers (western and of Almajiri extractions), and many unmentioned people who account for many of my accomplishments, unconditional support and my overall well-being.

“This is a turning point, and I seek forgiveness from anyone I might have hurt unintentionally or unavoidably.”

The China Development Bank (CDB) has granted a loan of 245 million euros ($254.76 million) for the construction of the Kano-Kaduna railway project in Nigeria.

A statement by the bank on Tuesday said the move was to provide financial support for the smooth progress of the project.

The Kano-Kaduna railway, with a total length of 203 kilometres, is a standard-gauge railway. Once completed, it will provide direct rail connectivity between Kano and Abuja.

“This railway will also promote the development of related industries along the route. The construction and operation of the project will create numerous job opportunities in Nigeria.

“The Kano-Kaduna railway project has been included in the list of practical cooperation projects for the Third Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation,” the statement partly said.

The project is being constructed by the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) with financing support provided by the CDB.

The CDB stated that in the next phase, it will work closely with the Nigerian side to ensure the continued disbursement of loans and effectively manage the completion of the work.

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated the Group Chief Executive Officer (GCEO) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL), Mallam Mele Kolo Kyari, on his 60th birthday.

In a statement  on Tuesday by his Special Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, Tinubu praised Kyari’s exceptional leadership and transformative impact on NNPCL. 

He commended the GCEO for steering the organization toward profitability and achieving remarkable milestones in Nigeria’s energy sector.

“Despite initial skepticism, Kyari has proven his mettle by revitalizing two key refineries, enhancing domestic natural gas consumption, and boosting oil production to 1.8 million barrels per day,” the President noted.

Tinubu described Kyari as a “shinning example” of the Renewed Hope Agenda and highlighted his commitment to expanding opportunities and ensuring the sustainability of Nigeria’s energy sector.

 

Reflecting on Kyari’s illustrious career at NNPC and OPEC, Tinubu lauded his professionalism and dedication to public service, crediting him for setting a high standard as the first Group Chief Executive Officer of the restructured NNPCL.

 

The President also offered prayers for Kyari, wishing him continued health, wisdom, and strength to further serve the nation while mentoring the next generation of leaders in the energy industry.

Borno State Executive Council has approved the renaming of Borno State University to Kashim Ibrahim University in honour of the first governor of northern Nigeria.

 

This decision was reached during the first State Executive Council meeting of 2025, chaired by Governor Babagana Umara Zulum. The meeting which ended Monday night at the Government House Council Chamber, lasted over six hours, as key issues affecting the state were discussed.

Briefing journalists at the end of the meeting, commissioner for Information and Internal Security, Professor Usman Tar, revealed that the council considered 42 memos and assessed the performance of the state in the previous year, along with projections for 2025.

Professor Tar further explained that the renaming of the university will be subject to legislative procedures and the necessary notifications to relevant authorities in coordination with the Ministry of Education.

“Council approved that Borno State University shall be renamed Kashim Ibrahim University, Maiduguri. This is subject to further legislative work by the State Assembly to amend the law establishing the University. It is also subject to the Ministry of Education taking necessary action by informing relevant regulatory authorities like the National Universities Commission (NUC), Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN)”, Tar stated.

The council also approved street naming and house numbering in Maiduguri and other urban areas as part of the urban renewal drive of Governor Zulum’s administration.

“Maiduguri is fast developing, there are a lot of new buildings public roads and other facilities that need to be renamed.

 

Council decided that relevant MDAs shall meet with relevant agencies including Nigerian Postal Service, Nigerian Geological Survey, traditional rulers and community leaders to arrive at a new naming template”, he said.

The information commissioner announced that when completed, the updated names across the state would be reflected on Google Maps, public directories, and official records to support effective development planning. “The process will begin immediately as part of the state’s ongoing efforts to enhance urban planning and governance”, he said.

Speaking at the first Executive Council meeting, Governor Babagana Zulum welcomed Council members into the new year, commending them for their unwavering commitment and support to his administration.

Governor Zulum emphasized his administration’s focus on scaling up post-conflict and post-flood recovery efforts, with the aim of delivering more impactful projects to further improve the lives of Borno citizens.

“In 2024, my administration achieved significant progress in the implementation of government programmes and projects and I am committed to doing even more in 2025,” Governor Zulum said.

The Executive Council meeting also included a valedictory session in honour of the outgoing Head of Service, Barrister Malam Fannami, who will be retiring from public service later this month. The Council expressed gratitude for his service and contributions to the development of the state.

A man identified as the police have arrested Rauf Mutiu for allegedly planning to exhume the remains of his parents to facilitate the sale of the late parent’s house.

Our correspondent gathered that the attempt to exhume the corpses of the parents at the Tinumola area of Dada Estate, Osogbo, was brought to an abrupt end with the intervention of his siblings, who were not carried along in the exercise.

Mutiu, who was said to have sold the house of his parents containing their grave for N16 million without the consent of his siblings, was consequently arrested for cooling his feet in police custody, where he crossed over to 2025.

Speaking to newsmen yesterday, one of the siblings, Rafiu Teslim, accused his elder brother of being high-handed, adding that Mutiu, an ex-policeman, had threatened to deal with his siblings who made any attempt to tackle him on their father’s property.

Also speaking, other siblings, including Rafiu Kadijat and Adedoyin Rukayat, alleged that Mutiu, the eldest, in connivance with the second born of the 7-member family, had sold their parent’s property and unilaterally attempted to exhume their parents to be buried somewhere else.

Osun State Command Police Public Relations Officer Mrs Yemisi Opalola confirmed the suspect’s arrest and disclosed that the investigation was ongoing.

She assured the suspect would be arraigned in the court after investigation.

Kano State governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf, has been urged to intervene in a case of alleged injustice, where Malam Surajo Yarima’s house, valued at about N20 million, was allegedly sold by a court for a mere N2 million.

 

Yarima alleged in an interview with Hikima Radio/TV yesterday monitored by LEADERSHIP in Kano that the house was auctioned by a court to offset the debt of N300,000 he failed to repay to someone who sued him.

According to him, he failed to appear in the court during sittings despite several summon notices pasted on his house gate ‘because he travelled out of the state’, but the court sold his house at the sum and threw him, his wife and nine children out.

He added that he has now brought the N300,000 debt, but the creditor rejected it. The court said he had a chance to appeal against the judgement within three weeks of its verdict.

“The house was auctioned on 4th January and I brought the N300,000 on 6th January, but my creditor refused to accept it. I am now sleeping outside with my family,” he stated.