
AFOLABI
Pro-Tinubu group asks Nigerians to reject ‘power-hungry coalition’
The National Coalition for Asiwaju Mandate (NCAM) has asked Nigerians to reject any coalition “solely focused on grabbing power”.
On March 20, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar said he and other opposition politicians will form a coalition to wrest power from the All Progressives Congress (APC) in 2027.
Atiku spoke at an event where Nasir el-Rufai, former governor of Kaduna; Emeka Ihedioha, former governor of Imo; Salihu Lukman, a former member of the APC national working committee (NWC); Babachir Lawal, ex-secretary to the government of the federation (SGF); among others, opposition leaders, were in attendance.
Speaking at a press conference on Thursday, Isaac Ikpa, NCAM national president, said any coalition intended to seize power for selfish ambition rather than for the interest of the country, will fail.
“We want Nigerians to understand that this so-called coalition is nothing more than a gathering of politicians seeking relevance,” Ikpa said.
“We, the National Coalition for Asiwaju Mandate (NCAM), stand firmly behind President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and his renewed hope agenda.”
He asked Nigerians to reject “this desperate attempt by politicians to cling to power”.
“The future of our nation is at stake, and we must stand firm in our commitment to protect good governance, transformative leadership, and the progress of Nigeria,” he added.
He urged Nigerians to assess the track record of the coalition members and consider whether their leadership had previously contributed positively to the country.
Ikpa called on Nigerians to remain focused on governance and national development rather than political manoeuvring ahead of the 2027 elections
Chioma and I lived together for 8 years before marriage - Davido
Davido, the award-winning Nigerian singer, says the transition from a long-term relationship to marriage is “no joke”.
In a recent interview on the Bootleg Kev podcast, the Afrobeats star revealed that he and Chioma Adeleke, his wife, had been together for years before officially tying the knot.
Davido disclosed that they cohabited for eight years, adding that it helped smooth their transition into married life.
“I think I’m one of the lucky ones because me and my partner have been together for a long time prior to getting married. We’ve been living together,” he said.
“I was in my third year in college. That was where we met. I was lucky enough for us to move in together early, like eight years before we even got married.
“Getting married is no joke. The transition from being good friends and living together. And throughout the time we were living together, I was touring and really on the road.
“She always understood what I did for work, and she knows I’m at my happiest when I work. She knows I love music as she loves being in the kitchen. So the transition to marriage wasn’t too crazy for me.”
Davido met Chioma while studying music at Babcock University. Their relationship came to light after he dedicated a song titled ‘Assurance’ to her in 2018.
The singer announced their engagement in September 2019. But their union temporarily hit the rocks in 2021 amid allegations that the singer was in another relationship.
The couple lost Ifeanyi, their first child together, on October 30, 2022.
However, in March 2023, the singer disclosed that he and Chioma had officially married.
The lovebirds welcomed twins in the United States in October 2023.
Davido and Chioma tied the knot traditionally in June 2024. In November 2024, Davido disclosed that Chioma had been his girlfriend for 12 years
Police arrest three suspects for ‘stealing sewing machines’ at skills acquisition centre in Borno
The Borno police command says its operatives have arrested three suspects for stealing sewing machine heads at the Dala Lawati Skills Acquisition Centre.
A statement on Thursday by Nahum Daso, police spokesperson in Borno, said Kaka Mustapha, a security guard at the centre, conspired with two other suspects, Bukar Mustapha and Ibrahim Mohammed, to perpetrate the act.
“On the 22/03/2025, at about 1400HRS, One Kaka Modu Mustapha 34yrs, a security guard at Dala Lawati Skills Acquisition Center, conspired with (2) Bukar Mustapha, 16yrs, and (3) Ibrahim Mohammed, 17yrs, and stole 19 sewing machine heads from the center,” the statement reads.
“Upon receiving the complaint, the divisional police officer, Bulumkutu division and team promptly launched an investigation, leading to the arrest of the three suspects and recovery of 6 out of the 19 sewing machines stolen.
“The case is still under investigation, and efforts are ongoing to recover the remaining stolen items.
“The command reiterates its commitment of ensuring safety and security for all and calls on members of the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities within their domain.”
Reps Passes Bill To Stop Over-60s From Presidential, Gubernatorial Elections For Second Reading
2023 Election: Official List Of House Of Representatives As Confirmed By INEC
On Thursday, the House of Representatives passed for second reading a bill that seeks to bar individuals above the age of 60 from contesting for the offices of President and Governor in Nigeria.
Sponsored by Ikeagwuonu Ugochinyere, the bill proposes amendments to the 1999 Constitution to revise the eligibility criteria for these key political positions.
The proposed legislation sets an age limit of 60 years for candidates seeking to contest for the presidency or governorship.
The bill stipulates that both presidential and gubernatorial candidates must not be older than 60 years at the time of contesting for office.
In addition to the age requirement, the bill also mandates that candidates must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in their chosen field of study.
The amendments specifically target Section 131 of the Constitution, which governs presidential eligibility, and Section 177, which deals with the eligibility criteria for gubernatorial candidates.
Alongside the age limit bill, several other significant bills were also passed for second reading by the House. These bills include:
Alvan Ikoku Federal University of Education Bill: Sponsored by Speaker Tajudeen Abbas and Rep. Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere, this bill seeks to upgrade Alvan Ikoku College of Education in Imo State to a federal university, aimed at enhancing educational standards in the region.
Bill for the Creation of Ideato West Local Government Area: This bill proposes the creation of an additional local government area in Imo State to enhance administrative efficiency and spur developmental efforts.
Bill for Mandatory Inclusion of Youths and Persons with Disabilities in Political Appointments: Also sponsored by Rep. Ugochinyere, this bill aims to promote inclusivity in governance by ensuring reserved positions for young people and persons with disabilities in political appointments.
Bill to Move Trade and Commerce to the Concurrent Legislative List: This bill, sponsored by Rep. Ugochinyere, seeks to grant both federal and state governments the authority to regulate trade and commerce, fostering greater economic activity and cooperation nationwide.
Reserved Seats for Women in National and State Assemblies Bill: Sponsored by Rep. Kafilat Ogbara, this bill proposes the creation of reserved seats for women in both the National Assembly and state legislative bodies to promote gender equality in governance.
Two important judicial reform bills were also introduced:
Timelines for Justice Administration Bill (Sponsored by Rep. Benjamin Okezie Kalu): Seeks to expedite judicial processes and reduce delays in the legal system.
Increase in Supreme Court & Court of Appeal Justices Bill (Sponsored by Rep. Bello Kaoje): Proposes increasing the number of justices in these courts to improve efficiency in the judicial system.
Creation of New States: The House also discussed bills proposing the creation of new states, including the Wan State in the North Central region and the Gobir State in the Northwest.
Reps pass bill to upgrade 37 Lagos LCDAs to full fledge LGs
The House of Representatives on Wednesday passed a second reading of a bill to upgrade the Lagos State 37 Local Council Development Areas (LCDAs) to full-fledged Local Government Areas (LGAs ).
The bill, was sponsored by James Faleke, Babajimi Benson, Enitan Badru, and 19 other lawmakers.
Titled “A Bill for an Act to Alter the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) to Accommodate the Thirty-Seven (37) Development Area Councils of Lagos State as Full-Fledged Local Government Areas, Increasing the Total Number of Local Government Areas in the Federation to Eight Hundred and Eleven (811), and for Related Matters (HB. 1498),”
Once fully enacted, Nigeria’s total number of LGAs will rise from 774 to 811, with Lagos overtaking Kano and Katsina, which currently have 44 and 34 LGAs, respectively.
Proponents of the bill argue that granting full LGA status to the LCDAs would bring governance closer to the people. The 37 LCDAs were created by President Bola Tinubu in 2003 when he was governor of Lagos State.
However, it’s worth noting that the Lagos State House of Assembly has been working on a bill to replace the 37 LCDAs with newly designated administrative areas
Regina Is Expecting Baby No 3 – Ned Nwoko Mocks Rumour Mongers, Speaks On Broken Marriage
Nigerian lawmaker and polygamist, Ned Nwoko has addressed rumours that his marriage to Nollywood actress, Regina Daniels has hit the rocks.
Recall that there have being insinuations that the duo might no longer be together, after Daniels returned to Instagram after a break and removed her husband name ‘Nwoko’ from her bio.
Despite the rumours, Daniels refused to speak on the matter. However, taking to Instagram to celebrate their 6th wedding anniversary, Nwoko announced that not only are they still together, but also expecting their third child.
He wrote, “Rumours Can’t Shake Royalty
“Ah, the gossips, hungry and sly,
“Spinning their tales, their desperate cry.
“His arrest is coming!” but who is he?
“Even they don’t know, it’s comedy!
“And Regina left? Oh, what a tale,
“When she’s right here, steady as hail.
“Wrapped in love, in laughter’s glow,
“Rocking our babies, watching them grow.
“Their lies will fade, their voices dim,
“Yet here we stand unmoved, untrimmed.
“For love like ours, built on steel,
“Doesn’t break, doesn’t kneel.
“Let’s Set the Record Straight
“Still standing, still thriving, unshaken, supreme.
“Two beautiful sons, love’s sweetest dream.
“No rumoured child outside, That ship never sailed,
“Let them retire that story, tired and stale.
“A divorcee? A non-virgin? Not mine to marry
“My standards stand, untouched, unfazed.
“Some may cry, some may curse,
“But my love, my life, my rules come first.
“Justice Is Serve
“With a Smile
“To the faceless gossip, the shadow behind a keypad,
“Your fifteen minutes are on rewind.
“A bounty stands on your trail, ten million strong,
“Tick-tock, tick-tock you won’t run for long.
“Enjoy your fame, your fleeting day,
“Truth will rise, as lies decay.
“My name is mine, my path is clear,
“Forward, onward, year by year.
“And Here’s the Cherry on Top…
“Just when they thought they had their say,
“Baby number three is on the way!
“A new heartbeat, a love so grand,
“Another blessing in my hand.
“Let them talk, let them guess,
“While we live, while we bless.
“For at the end, when curtains close,
“It’s us, my love, that victory knows.
“Because love, true
“love, does not sway,
“It roars, it reigns, come what may.”
Bill To Transition Nigeria To Parliamentary System Passes Second Reading In House Of Representatives
A bill seeking to transition Nigeria from its current presidential system of government to a parliamentary system has passed its second reading in the House of Representatives.
Naija News reports that the bill was one of 31 Constitution amendment bills discussed during a plenary session presided over by Deputy Speaker, Benjamin Okezie Kalu, on Thursday.
Titled “A Bill for an Act to Alter the Provisions of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, to Provide for the Office of the Prime Minister as Head of Government and the Office of President as Head of State and to Provide for a Framework for the Mode of Election to the Said Offices and for Related Matters (HB.1115),” the bill was sponsored by House Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda, alongside 59 other lawmakers.
If passed, the bill will effectively replace the current presidential system with a parliamentary model, where the Prime Minister, elected by the legislature, will hold executive powers, while the President will serve as a ceremonial Head of State.
In February 2024, 60 members of the House introduced three bills proposing amendments to the Nigerian Constitution (1999, as amended), aiming for a transition to a parliamentary system of government by 2031. These bills include the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (Alteration) Bill, 2024 (HB.1115); Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (Alteration) Bill, 2024 (HB.1116); and Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (Alteration) Bill, 2024 (HB.1117).
Speaking on behalf of the sponsors, Abdussamad Dasuki expressed that the proposed amendments would have a profound impact on Nigeria’s political landscape.
He argued that the current presidential system, despite several amendments, has proven ineffective, especially in addressing the nation’s developmental challenges.
Dasuki highlighted several shortcomings of the presidential system, including the high cost of governance, which limits available resources for critical sectors like infrastructure, education, and healthcare.
He also pointed to the excessive powers vested in the executive, which, he noted, is not directly accountable to the people.
“Over the years, the imperfections of the presidential system of government have become glaring to all, despite several alterations to the constitution to address the shortcomings of a system that has denied the nation the opportunity of attaining its full potential,” Dasuki said.
He added that the parliamentary system, which was in place during Nigeria’s First Republic, provided a governance model in which both legislative and executive powers were exercised by elected representatives who were directly accountable to the people.
The sponsors of the bill argued that returning Nigeria to a parliamentary system would foster greater accountability in government, making it more responsible and responsive to the needs of the people.
They also suggested that the parliamentary system would reduce the cost of governance, making it more efficient and less financially burdensome.
“For six years while it was in operation, the parliamentary system worked for the country,” Dasuki concluded, advocating for a return to the system that functioned well during the early years of Nigeria’s independence.
I Vowed To Destroy Obidient Movement Because Peter Obi Was My Project – Reno
A former presidential aide, Reno Omokri, has said he took a vow to destroy Peter Obi’s Obidient movement because he (Obi) was his project.
Omokri said he was responsible for Obi’s vice-presidential candidacy in 2029. His position, however, contradicts Atiku Abuabakar‘s account of how Obi became his vice in the 2019 election.
Naija News reported that the former presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) clarified that former President Olusegun Obasanjo chose Obi for him.
He said Obasanjo suggested Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and Chukuwuma Soludo, but because they were not members of the PDP, Obi was chosen.
In an interview with News Central on Thursday, the controversial social media influencer alleged that members of the Obidient movement attacked him, his wife and his child.
“I took a vow to destroy that movement because Peter Obi was a project of mine. I was responsible for Peter Obi becoming the running mate to Waziri Atiku Abubakar in 2019. I’ve said this publicly. I’ve got the documents. I’m a meticulous record keeper,” he said.
Speaking on the alleged attack on his family by alleged members of the Obidient movement, Reno said he received too many death threats.
“Peter Obi’s movement, Obidients, started attacking me, threatening me, insulting me. That was OK. But then they moved from myself to my family. I just had a daughter at that time. There were multiple death threats.
“They came to my house in the United Kingdom. They trailed my wife and me when we were jogging. They found out my jogging route and pursued me, threatening me,” he stated.
According to him, it was when the former Governor of Anambra State could not take action after he complained to him about the alleged attack on his family that he decided to use “whatever political machinery I have to destroy that movement“.
Daughter Of Late Oyo Governor, Bisola Ajimobi Kola-Daisi, Dies In UK
Bisola Ajimobi Kola-Daisi, the eldest daughter of the late former governor of Oyo State, Abiola Ajimobi, has passed away.
Naija News gathered that Bisola, who was married to Kolapo Kola-Daisi, died in the early hours of Thursday at the age of 42.
According to Daily Post, she passed away in the United Kingdom.
Until her passing, she served as the Special Adviser to the Minister of Budget and Planning, Atiku Bagudu.
Confirming the news, the former governor’s Special Adviser, Bolaji Tunji, stated to journalists in Ibadan: “Yes. It has been confirmed.”
More details to follow…
Natasha Recall: Electoral College Tasks INEC On Transparency
The Nigerian Electoral College has requested that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) guarantee that the recall procedure for the suspended senator for Kogi Central, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, follows the established guidelines.
INEC had communicated the commencement of the process in a letter to the Kogi Central Senator, Akpoti-Uduaghan, on Wednesday.
“Pursuant to Section 69 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, as amended, I write to notify you of the receipt of a petition from representatives of registered voters in your constituency seeking your recall from the senate,” the letter read.
The notification added that, “The notification is in line with the provisions of clause 2 (a) of the Commission’s Regulations and Guidelines for Recall 2024.”
In a statement by its Executive Director, Kunle Lawal, the organisation urged INEC to conduct the process transparently and fairly.
It cautioned that any efforts to undermine or politicise the recall process could damage the integrity of democratic institutions.
The group also urged all stakeholders to uphold the legal framework and allow the process to unfold without interference.
“We emphasise that INEC must conduct this process with transparency, fairness, and strict adherence to its guidelines, ensuring that the will of the people is not manipulated.
“Any attempt to short-circuit or politicise the recall process would undermine the credibility of our democratic institutions.
“As a non-partisan institution, the Electoral College Nigeria does not take sides in political contests but remains committed to educating Nigerians on their rights and responsibilities.
“We urge all stakeholders to respect the legal framework and allow the process to run its course without interference,” the statement read.