AFOLABI

AFOLABI

In Imo State, a dark cloud grief, despair and panic has enveloped residents of Umucheke Okwe autonomous community following the brutal murder of leaders of the enclave by gunmen.

A clutch of armed men invaded the community in Onuimo Local Government Area of the south-east State on Saturday and killed the seven community leaders. 

Those killed are President General of the community and six village leaders.

It’s gathered that the gunmen brutally murdered the victims after they stormed the venue of their weekly meeting and opened fire on them.

“Gunmen have just shot dead the President General of Umucheke Okwe and six village heads,” a community leader who pleaded anonymity told newsmen.

 

It’s gathered that the attack took place at the President General’s shop in the community market, where the meeting was being held.

The source said the gunmen also set ablaze the shop after killing the community leaders, adding that the incident has forced many villagers to flee their homes to escape the terror.

The source further revealed, “Upon their arrival, the gunmen unleashed gunfire, killing all the community leaders before setting the place ablaze. All the community chiefs perished in the assault.”

The motive behind the attack remains unclear, as the source noted, “Nobody understands the reason for the assault. No one knows the purpose of the meeting.”

The community now stands deserted, with villagers fleeing their homes in terror.

The Imo State Police Command, through the Public Relations officer, ASP Henry Okoye, is yet to issue a statement on the incident.

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFund) has disbursed over N2 billion in school fees to students at six institutions nationwide.

Nasir Ayitogo, the Fund’s spokesperson, announced the update in Abuja on Friday. He stated that 22,120 students have benefited from this initiative so far. 

This move aligns with President Bola Tinubu’s commitment to improving educational opportunities for Nigerians. The effort aims to reduce financial barriers for students, helping them continue their education.

According to Ayitogo, the disbursements were timed according to the institutions’ academic calendars. “So far, six of the twelve institutions have received full payment for their institutional fees, benefiting over 20,000 students. The total disbursed amount is approximately N2,026,163,340. Payments for the remaining six institutions will be completed in the coming week,” he said.

These payments are intended to support students’ academic progress and provide relief to them and their families. Additionally, NELFund has started distributing upkeep funds, with N442 million allocated for July to cover living expenses.

“This initiative will support all 22,120 students across the twelve institutions, with further payments expected in the coming weeks and months,” Ayitogo added.

Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Mr. Peter Obi, has expressed sorrow over the deaths of several Nigerians during the ongoing nationwide #EndBadGovernance protests.

On his X handle, Obi stated on Saturday that the protesters died fighting for a better Nigeria. He expressed hope that their legitimate demands would be addressed and that Nigeria would improve.

 

“I sincerely pass my condolences to the families of those who lost their lives in the ongoing #EndBadGovernance protests. I deeply mourn these brothers and sisters who died struggling for a better nation.

“I hope their legitimate demands, made within the law, will not go unanswered. I urge the protesters to remain peaceful and behave well.

“Shun violence, as we cannot build a new nation by destroying what we have. I also call on security agencies to remain civil while ensuring the security of lives and property during the protests,” Obi said.

He expressed his belief that Nigeria would rise and that issues of hunger, poverty, insecurity, corruption, and mismanagement of public funds would be confined to the past.

“Then, Nigeria will be one of the exemplary countries on earth, leading in human and national development. May God grant eternal rest to the dead and grant quick recovery to the injured,” Obi added.

Amnesty International, a global human rights organization, reports that over 80 peaceful protesters have been remanded in prison in Sokoto State.

The protest, which began peacefully, took a dramatic turn when some miscreants hijacked the movement in various states, leading to the destruction and looting of properties. 

As the protest escalated, security operatives responded with teargas, chasing away and arresting several protesters.

In Kano State, the police command reported the arrest of at least 269 individuals connected to the looting and destruction during the nationwide hardship protest.

 

On the third day of demonstrations, police forced some #EndBadGovernance protesters away from the Moshood Abiola Stadium in Abuja. Despite initially avoiding the venue, protesters later assembled with flags and placards. However, police fired into the air and released teargas to disperse them. 

Arrests were also made in other states, including Gombe, Jigawa, Kaduna, Katsina, Nasarawa, and Sokoto.

Amnesty International condemned these actions in a tweet on Saturday, calling for the unconditional release of the youth remanded in Sokoto State for participating in the peaceful protest against hunger.

“Amnesty International condemns the Nigeria Police Sokoto state command for the arbitrary arrest of 81 youth who participated in the peaceful protest against hunger. #EndBadGovernance,” the tweet read.

“Our investigation shows that the protesters were arrested and then taken to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID), where a mobile court hurriedly remanded them in prison. We urge the authorities to release them immediately and unconditionally.”

Jamiu Abiola, son of the late Nigerian business mogul Chief MKO Abiola, claims that the forces that annulled the June 12, 1993, election are now targeting President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s administration.

Abiola’s son, currently serving as Special Assistant to the President on Special Duties, believes those protesting against hardship and demanding better living conditions are reacting emotionally without considering Tinubu’s achievements.

In an interview with Channels Television, Jamiu addressed the ongoing protests, which began on August 1 and are expected to continue until August 10. Protesters have vowed to persist until their demands are met.

Jamiu argued that some Nigerians have not accepted that they were not destined to win the 2023 general election, leading them to create difficulties for the current government.

“There are some people with sinister motives. The forces that worked against my dad and annulled his election now target Tinubu. They wouldn’t want someone who supported my dad to become president and succeed,” Jamiu stated.

“Sometimes, things have to get tough before they get better. It’s a test from God. People need to realize that God’s hand is in everything, not just Nigeria.

“Many Nigerians view this president like previous ones because they have experienced broken promises. So, they see any difficulty as another broken promise.

“But the president we have now is different. He believes in democracy and loves the common man. He needs time. Those protesting are emotional and haven’t reflected on his achievements since taking office.”

Former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Adams Oshiomhole, has disclosed some details on how he led protests during his leadership of workers in the country and reacted to Police resistance.

According to him, during his time, they (as protesters) sometimes had antidotes to the teargas fired at them, and threw them back at the Police.

 

The Edo North Senator said protest is never a tea party, and sometimes, the Police might also have to take some uncomfortable decisions in the discharge of their responsibilities.

“Is there anywhere in the world where you haven’t seen protests being resisted by the police? It is an uncomfortable responsibility they have to take,” he said on Channels Television’s The August Protests show on Saturday.

“When I was leading workers when they tear-gassed us, we sometimes had the antidote; we threw the tear gas back.”

Oshiomhole stated further that Police may not deliberately want to tear gas protesters, but they and other security forces might, of a necessity, have to use different methods to resist protesters.

“If police believe that you might have to destroy or kill someone, they might have to use those methods. Any protest is a struggle; it is not a tea party.

“So, I, of course, did not celebrate that but I saw a commissioner of police in one state procuring not tear gas but water to give to those who were protesting peacefully,” he said.

The ex-president of the NLC commended the “civil” conduct of the police as the #EndBadGovernance protests entered the third day, saying police gave sachet water to peaceful protesters in states like Lagos.

“It is not about how the police respond now but in totality, the police under this IG has been quite civil,” he said.

On protesters calling for a ‘take back’ of Nigeria because they lost the 2023 election, the former Edo State Governor said election is the only constitutionally-allowed method for a change of government.

He added that Nigeria is not under foreign occupation, so therefore, the protesters can’t talk about reclaiming Nigeria.

“Some people want regime change. You cannot peacefully demand that because the Constitution forbids you to make demands that are unlawful within the position of the Constitution.

“The only legitimate for those who lost the election is that they must, as of necessity, under the constitution, wait for the next round of elections. Till then, there is nothing they can do. If they seek to short-circuit the system, there will be a problem,” he said.

The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, on Saturday, urged the police and other security agencies to stop shooting and killing protesters demanding good governance in Nigeria.

Atiku who reacted to reports of killings in some states, amidst the ongoing ##EndBadGovernance protests, questioned the professionalism of the security agencies in the handling of the ongoing demonstrations.

He said the shooting of protesters reminds him of “the dark days of military dictatorship.”

He called on President Bola Tinubu to address and implement the demands of Nigerians

The statement released by the former Vice-President reads, “I vehemently condemn the heinous act of using live ammunition on citizens peacefully protesting against bad governance, as witnessed today in Kano and Abuja. This is utterly intolerable and reminiscent of the dark days of military dictatorship.

“It is crucial to remind the government and security agencies of their paramount duty to ensure a safe and secure environment where citizens can exercise their right to protest without fear.

“When security forces open fire on innocent protesters, they do nothing but exacerbate tensions, transforming peaceful demonstrations into chaos. I refuse to believe that inciting violence is the intention of our authorities.

“I urge the international community, including the United Nations and the International Criminal Court, to closely monitor the situation in Nigeria and hold its leadership and security apparatus accountable.

“I reaffirm my counsel to protesters to steadfastly exercise their right to peaceful protest and reject any form of violence.

“Those engaging in looting and the destruction of public and private property must be isolated and prosecuted according to the law. By indulging in such acts, they undermine the legitimate protests and play into the hands of those who oppose their right to protest.

“President Tinubu must demonstrate true leadership by immediately addressing and implementing the demands of the Nigerian people.”

The 15th Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero, is set to lead a delegation from Kano State to meet with President Bola Tinubu, to deliver a message from the people of Kano State, amidst the nationwide protest.

According to Bayero, the delegation is expected to relay the concerns of the people of the state as expressed during their visit to his palace during the protest.

Bayero in a statement released through his Press Secretary, Abubakar Balarabe Kofar Naisa, on Saturday, sympathized with those affected by the incident negatively by the protest in the state.

He said, “As always, in times of hardship, people should draw closer to God and pray, as only He can bring comfort.”

Bayero called on the people of the state to maintain peace and avoid violence or damaging government and private property.

He urged parents to take care of their children’s upbringing. He quoted the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), who said that each person is a shepherd and will be questioned about what they were entrusted with on the Day of Judgment.

Bayero prayed for the souls of those who lost their lives, for the recovery of the injured as well as the restoration of the losses incurred during the protest.

Controversial singer, Habeeb Okikiola, popularly known as Portable, has lamented that he didn’t receive any monetary reward despite supporting President Bola Tinubu.

 

According to him, he was “used” but he decided to be calm.

 

Speaking during a recent Instagram live session with fans, the ‘Zazu’ crooner claimed that “fighting” the government was a vain job, stressing that the government has nothing to lose.

 

He said: “I supported Tinubu but I didn’t get any money. I was used but I am calm. You’re k!lling yourselves in the name of fighting the government. The government has nothing to lose.”

A former Minister of Education, Oby Ezekwesili, has warned President Bola Tinubu that he cannot win against Nigerians in the ongoing nationwide protests.

She stated this while reacting to Tinubu’s failure to address the situation.

Ezekwesili opined that no leader has ever won against their people.

The former vice president of the World Bank’s Africa region stated this via a statement on social media.

She explained that “when a people tell their leaders that they are hungry and angry because you have governed them badly, the wise thing to do is not to shut them up, threaten, taunt and brutalise them thereby demonstrating a tragic empathy deficit syndrome.

“The wise things to do are listen, listen, listen. Persuade with factual counterpoints.

“Present convincing plan of action.

“Mobilise the people to ‘Arise and Build!’,”

Ezekwesili, who also served as a minister of Solid Minerals, said the Nigerian President, the National Assembly, and state governors and their state assemblies still have an opportunity to do the right thing.

She said they can “use it (opportunity) as the golden moment of opportunity for a reset of Nigeria being offered by our citizens and launch a credible National Conversation on the Most Effective Structure and Direction for Good Governance at all levels for productivity, competitiveness, prosperity, justice, equity, equality, order, peace, harmony, stability and resilience.”

She also said they can “come out to the protest grounds all over the country and engage your citizens, hear them express their demands to you directly.”

She warned them, “not lock yourselves away behind the High Gates of your publicly-funded State and Government houses enjoying indulgent lives while your citizens are crying out in pain from the severity of economic hardship. Come out.”