June 12 is the election that has been described as the freest and fairest in the country’s history. Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, (MKO), Social Democratic Party (SDP) presidential candidate in 1993, is presumed the winner of the election. The election was annulled by Ibrahim Babangida, a former head of state, a self-styled evil genius and one of the so-called owners of Nigeria. However, in 2018, President Muhammadu Buhari declared June 12 as Democracy Day. Abiola had won a truly national mandate, his victory and mandate, though unfairly and unlawfully stolen, shows Nigeria’s unity is not an impractical dream.
Interestingly, the African hero, the pillar of sport, Moshood Kashimawo Olawale Abiola, GCFR, also known as M. K. O. Abiola, a Nigerian businessman, publisher, and politician. Who then was the Aare Ona Kankafo XIV of Yorubaland and an aristocrat of the Egba clan. It was not totally in vain that Nigerians chorused, “M.K.O, is our man oo” in 1993. Even in death, he remains the country’s symbol of hope for good governance. Notwithstanding that the late business mogul, Abiola polled a total number of 8,342,309 against Tofa, his arch rival who garnered 5,952,087 votes, the then Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida annulled the results.
M. K. O and Emilokan is destiny interwoven. The good Lord has commissioned a replica of MKO in BAT. Expectedly, the values are noted to have been a strong building block in the moulding even of the Nigerian nation and to the delightful envy of many other cultures within the country. Tinubu in the eyes of his traducers has conveniently substituted igbo l’okan for a personal "self-seeking" Emi ‘lokan bogey. BAT's ingenuity and steadfastness for years counted in his favor. The city boy, a dogged fighter built himself to become the principality to reckoned with.
Tinubu, believes in his God-given capacity to navigate the country to the glorious destination. Instructively, as the last man standing in the opposition in Nigeria at the end of the end of 2007 when the then ruling party PDP in collaboration with many undemocratic elements swept the entire opposition elements away with OBASANJO's Do-or-die politics. But for the courage, tenacity and steadfastness of BAT, then - the essence of democracy would have been defeated and the opposition will not be breathing today. For those who do not know, June 12 birthed Emilokan.
Unsurprisingly, the spirit of MKO Abiola, usually enveloped the last man standing Bola Ahmed Tinubu whenever he appeared in Abeokuta the home town of MKO. In the buildup to his party’s presidential primaries, which he later won, Tinubu went into a diatribe, calling out those he perceived were standing in his way, including Governor Dapo Abiodun. “Emi lokan”, “O lule”, which have since found their way to the Nigerian political lexicon, were used by Tinubu in Abeokuta. Similarly, BAT, was in the Ogun State capital, on Wednesday, January 25, for his ongoing campaigns ahead of the February 25 presidential election. He once again showcased courage and resilience.
It is against this backdrop that I like to conclude this article that focuses on the spirit of June 12, MKO and Emilokan exponent by highlighting the following:
1. There is no rift between emilokan and the Buhari presidency. It was the spirit of togetherness and June 12 that enveloped Asiwaju the Jagaban of Borgu and by the grace of God the 16th President of the federal republic of Nigeria.
2. Expectedly, the opposition elements are as usual desperate to promote falsehood and create the impression that BAT is at loggerhead with the party and the presidency by deliberately twisting the Abeokuta declaration.
3. The APC Governors have adequately demonstrated their commitments to the party and to their presidential candidate. APC is posed to reenact the MKO's landslide victory of June 12 1993.
4. Allegedly, the major oil marketers are said to be behind the artificial scarcity of products to embarrass the Federal Government and create voters apathy.
5. Some Banks chief executives close to a particular candidate who is enjoying the backing of some discredited former Head-of-State and former President are also playing games in cohorts with the Central Bank officials.
6. Olusegun Obasanjo and his friend Afe Babalola has over time being clamouring for "INTERIM GOVERNMENT" clandestinely with some known undemocratic elements.
But of course, the assumptions that there is a rift between Emilokan and the Presidency is just the imaginations of some elements of the opposition who are just bunch of confused social irritants oscillating between confusion and ignorance. Finally, using the words of Bishop David Oyedepo "NIGERIA WILL BE PEACEFUL"