A former Inspector-General General of Police (IGP), Tafa Balogun, was on Thursday confirmed dead at a hospital in Lagos.
Family sources confirmed the death of Balogun at a hospital located in Lekki, Lagos, on Thursday night.
Tafa Balogun is infamous for his corruption trial and his conviction.
Here are important things you should know about the late Balogun:
1) He was born on August 8, 1947 at Ila-Orangun in Osun State.
2) He was at a time, the Principal Staff Officer (PSO) to former Inspector-General of Police, Muhammadu Gambo.
3) He was a member of cadet Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Course 3
4) He was also a Deputy Commission of Police Edo State, the pioneer Commissioner of Police in Delta State. He was also CP in Rivers and Abia states.
5) He was a fellow of the premier highest military institution in Nigeria, the National War College
6) He was named the 21st Inspector-General of Police on March 6, 2002
7) On April 4, 2005, Balogun was arraigned at the Federal High Court, Abuja for stealing and laundering of over $100 million in his three years as Inspector General of Police from the Police treasury.
8) He collapsed on his seat on June 29, 2005, at the Abuja High Court.
9) After pleading guilty to eight of the 56 count-charges directly affecting him, he was convicted and sentenced to six months in each of the charges, which ran concurrently.
10) He was released on February 9, 2006 after serving his sentence.