The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has released the schedule of events for a fresh governorship primary in Abia state.
In a statement issued on Friday by Debo Ologunagba, the national publicity secretary, the party said the primary will be held on Saturday, February 4.
TheCable had reported that Uchenna Ikonne, the governorship candidate, died on Wednesday morning at the National Hospital, Abuja, after a brief illness.
The opposition party said the fresh primary is pursuant to the provisions of Section 33 of the Electoral Act 2022.
“The National Working Committee (NWC) has released the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the conduct of a fresh Governorship Election Primary in Abia State,” the statement reads.
“The Timetable and Schedule of Activities are as follows;
1. Notice to INEC – Friday, January 27, 2023
2. Sale of Forms – Friday, January 27- Tuesday, January 31, 2023
3. Last day for the Submission of already purchased Forms – Wednesday, February 01, 2023
4. Screening of Aspirants – Thursday, February 02, 2023
5. Screening Appeal- Friday, February 03, 2023
6. State Congress (Gubernatorial Candidate Nomination) – Saturday, February 04, 2023
“Fresh aspirants are permitted to participate in the current exercise alongside those who contested in the earlier primary.”
The late PDP gubernatorial candidate was the former vice-chancellor of the Abia State University (ABSU).
He polled 468 votes in the Abia governorship primary held in May 2022 to defeat five other contestants.