The Federal Government has directed South African company, Multichoice, to suspend its planned increase in tariff which was to take effect from September 1.
The government said the increase is “hostile to Nigerians who are currently going through harsh economic conditions”.
The government also said the company did not consult with it before the decision was made, saying it only read about the increase in the media like every other Nigerians.
Multichoice had last week announced increment in the prices of DSTV and GOTV subscriptions for the second time in less than four months.
The company in a statement to subscribers said that from Tuesday, September 1, 2020, MultiChoice will effect its new price regime which is as follows: DSTV Premium will move from N16, 200 to N18,400, Compact Plus from N10,925 to N12,400, Compact from 6,975 to 7,900 and for users of GOtv Max, they will have to pay the sum N3,600 from 3,280.
One of the texts read: “Dear Customer, please be advised of a price adjustment on your DStv Premium package from September 1. Your new monthly subscription will be N18,400.”
The development has, however, angered Nigerians both on social media and on the streets who blame the government for allowing the South African-owned company manipulate them.