FEATURES

FEATURES

Nollywood actress, Ufuoma McDermott, has opened up about battling kidney disease for 12 years, revealing that she also lost her younger brother to chronic kidney disease.

The thespian, in an interview with media personality, Chude Jideonwu, said she cannot afford to add weight due to her health condition.

Ufuoma said she was also diagnosed with Stage 3 kidney disease last year and was told to slow down at work and rest, but she thought she had more time and negotiated with her doctors.

The actress noted that despite the warnings of her doctors, she stressed her body, and she was shortly diagnosed with Stage 4 kidney disease.

Ufuoma said he had thought about dying because of what happened to her brother.

The movie star added that she found her way back from Stage 4 kidney disease, and it changed how she lived her life.

Watch the video below.

Popular social media influencer, Martins Otse, also known as Verydarkman, VDM, has been detained by the Nigeria Police Force.

His lawyer, Deji Adeyanju stated this on Thursday night via a post on his official Facebook page.

According to the activist lawyer, the social media critic was arrested after honouring an invitation from the police.

He wrote, “Our client, VDM has been detained after honouring police invitation just like yesterday.

“VDM has been consistent in saying the Nigerian Police are our friends even when we all know they are not”.

This may not be unconnected to the recent use of police uniform as seen in a viral video clip.

DAILY POST recalls that the Police on Thursday last week, condemned the unauthorized use of its official uniforms and accoutrements by VDM in a video posted on his social media platforms.

The force said in a statement by its spokesperson, Olumuyiwa Adejobi said it had launched an investigation into the circulating video.

Health workers under the aegis of the Joint Health Sector Union, JOHESU, and the Assembly of Healthcare Professionals Association, AHPA, have suspended their seven-day warning strike effective from midnight October 31 in the spirit of the Memorandum of Understanding, MoU, and in general public interest.

The National Chairman of JOHESU, Mr Kabiru Minjibir, said this in a communiqué jointly signed by Mr Martin Egbanubi, National Secretary of the union on Thursday in Abuja.

DAILY POST recalls that JOHESU had embarked on a seven-day warning strike on October 25, to press home its demands from the Federal Government.

It said that the decision to suspend the warning strike was taken at an emergency meeting of the Expanded National Executive Council (NEC) of the Union.

It added that the expanded NEC comprised the Presidents and General Secretaries of JOHESU affiliate unions and professional Associations, National Executive Council, NEC, members of affiliate Unions and JOHESU Chairmen and Secretaries at the State and Branch levels.

The communiqué said NEC-in-Session critically appraised the various reports and the MoU signed between the JOHESU team and the Federal Government team during the conciliation meeting held on October 29 at the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment.

“NEC-in-session after extensive deliberations resolved that the suspension of the seven-day warning strike effective from midnight, Thursday, Oct. 31, 2024 in the spirit of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) and in general public interest.

“Time line of six weeks given to the Federal Government to meet all her obligations contained in the MoU.

“Expanded NEC meeting shall be convened upon the expiration of the six (6) weeks’ deadlines to review development and take appropriate decisions.

“Indefinite strike action shall be the next option if the Expanded NEC of JOHESU is not satisfied with the Federal Government responses to the implementation of her obligations contained in the MoU,” it said.

The demands of the unions include immediate implementation of CONHESS adjustment, payment of 25 per cent CONHESS Review arrears, payment of nine months’ salary to staff of Regulatory Agencies.

Others were the restoration of funding to Environmental Health Regulatory Council, reconstitution of Boards/Governing Councils of Federal Health Institution, commencement of the process to upwardly review retirement age of health workers, among others.

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has re-arrested the controversial social media personality and crossdresser, Idris Okuneye, known as Bobrisky, at Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos.

This arrest occurred just days after Bobrisky was released on bail by Nigeria police authorities.

The dramatic arrest took place Thursday evening as Bobrisky was about to board a flight to London.

 

Eyewitnesses reported that Nigerian authorities halted the plane just before takeoff and escorted the socialite off in front of other passengers.

The embattled Bobrisky took to Instagram shortly after the incident, he wrote, “Nigerians help me, EFCC just arrested me. I’m badly injured.”

Last week, he was detained by the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) at the Seme border while allegedly attempting to escape the country.

The cross dresser has been under investigation after an audio recording surfaced in which Bobrisky allegedly claimed he was permitted to serve his six-month jail term outside of Kirikiri prison due to “influential connections”.

Isaac Fayose, the younger brother to former governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, shared photos of himself and Bobrisky at the airport.

However, drama ensued as the Economic Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) stormed the Lagos airport to arrest Bobrisky.

The controversial crossdresser, in a post via his Instagram page, cried out to Nigeriansfor help, stating he was severely injured.

A video of the incident that emerged online shows how Bobrisky was forcefully dragged off the flight by airport security officers.

Isaac Fayose, younger brother of former Ekiti state governor, says he and crossdresser Bobrisky “boarded the same flight to London”.

Isaac, who had previously faulted Bobrisky’s detention by the police, took to his Instagram pageon Thursday evening to share photos of himself with the self-proclaimed transgender.

“See who is on the same flight ✈️ with me to London @bobrisky222,” he wrote.

 

Watch the video below:

Media

Last modified on Friday, 01 November 2024 06:55

The Media Adviser to former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, Paul Ibe, has berated the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike over the empowerment given to some youths in Abuja as commercial vehicle drivers.

Ibe, in a post via his account on the X platform (formerly Twitter), cautioned the federal government against reducing Nigerian youths to mere taxi drivers.

He pointed out that most youths engaged in the business of commercial driving are not doing it out of their free will but due to the unconducive economic environment and the need to survive.

The position of Ibe follows an earlier statement by Wike on Thursday while giving out cars to some youths in the FCT to use for commercial driving.

In his speech, the Minister encouraged the beneficiaries not to be ashamed that they are being empowered to be taxi drivers, saying that many Nigerians who reject taxi driving jobs at home gladly embrace such when they travel abroad.

The aide of Atiku, however, disagreed with the submission by Wike and urged the government to stop denying Nigerians and the youths, in particular, the opportunity to enjoy a better life due to wrong government policies.

He wrote: “This is a big fat lie. First off, Nigerian youths did not create this economic situation that continues to serve them the wrong end of the stick. Megalomaniacs did and have continued to deny them opportunities through their trial-and-error policies.

“We know lots of youths who have taken to making a living of driving taxis be they green taxis (or any other colour depending on what part of the country they operate in, @Uber or @boltapp.

“By the way, is this what you want to reduce our youths to: driving taxis? Nigerian youths are better than that. They’ve proven time and time again that their limitations are the megalomaniacs that continue to mortgage their destiny!”

The Minister of Finance and Coordi­nating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, has revealed a new government policy that would permit Nigerians who currently hold dollars outside the formal banking system to bring those funds into the financial system.

Edun said such individuals have a nine-month grace period to comply with the directive without attracting legal liability or financial penalties.

The finance minister spoke after the National Economic Coun­cil (NEC) meeting, chaired by Vice President Kashim Shetti­ma on Thursday, where update was given on the Excess Crude Account currently standing at $473,754.57, the Natural Resourc­es Fund at N26,105,837,627.67, and the Stabilisation Account at N36,299,452,763.62.

Edun equally gave update on government economic re­lief measures, saying 25 million Nigerians have benefited from federal social protection initia­tives, including digital outreach, microenterprise loans, and sec­tor-specific support for power, agriculture, manufacturing, health, and compressed natural gas (CNG) initiatives.

He said, “One element of the cost increase is the foreign ex­change rate, and that is demand and supply. There is going to be a release today, details by the Federal Government through the Ministry of Finance, in con­junction with the central bank, a programme, starting today, 31st of October, and lasting nine months, that will allow people to bring in cash that is outside the banking system.

“Therefore it is unsafe, it is unsecure and it is outside of le­gal limits. They will be allowed forbearance to bring dollar cash. Let me emphasise once again, it is to bring dollars that they are holding outside the system to be able to bring them in and credit it to their bank accounts, as long as it is not proceeds of crime, illicit money. There will be no penalty, there will be no taxes, there will be no questions.

“They just meet the normal Know Your Customer crite­ria of banks and they have an opportunity to bring in those funds, make them safe, make them secure, and make them available through normal, eco­nomic activity. The details of that, the guidelines of that, will be released, first of all, the an­nouncement by the Ministry of Finance and the guidelines later will follow very quickly by the central bank.

“That is an opportunity, not just for people who would nor­mally like to comply, to be com­pliant with the laws and normal business practice, but of course, it gives us an opportunity to bring those dollars from where they are doing nothing to where they are within the financial sys­tem, they add to our reserves, and of course can help with the exchange rate”.

Former Nigerian Senator, Ishaku Abbo has condemned the alleged corruption going on in the judiciary.

He argued that the Nigerian democracy will fail to grow if the judiciary is not overhauled to deliver justice and not injustice.

Abbo shared his reservation in Yola during an interaction with journalists.

The erstwhile senator, who was sacked this year by the Appeal Court sitting in Abuja after earlier winning his case at the Tribunal to return to the Senate for a second term of legislative duties, claimed that the case of vote-buying was more pronounced in the courts than in practice in the real sense of it.

My mandate was kidnapped in the courtroom by some judiciary bandits sitting on the throne of judgment.

“Judgment is from God, so if you are appointed as a judge, it means you are representing God on earth. So, if you collect money to deliver injustice, you will answer before your creator on the last day,” he said.

He alleged further, “A top judicial officer came to my hotel room in Abuja with his wife demanding money on behalf of the judges handling my case. I have the camera records. I want to talk to his people in Taraba State to caution him so that his career may not be terminated prematurely because of bribe money.”

The senator, who dwelled heavily on the height of corruption in the judiciary, also pointed out that the political leadership in the north has collapsed due to the selfish interest of some of the leaders in the region.

You cannot blame president Bola Tinubu, because majority of the northern leaders went to him and bargained for their personal gains and not on behalf of the north, so they have already harvested what belongs to the entire north,” he added.

On his political ambition to contest for the governorship of the state come 2027, he disclosed that he is still making consultations with stakeholders and that he will soon make a public declaration on his ambition after he concludes his consultations.

Socio-political organisation, Afenifere, has chided President Bola Tinubu’s administration over the absence of official empathy concerning the “agony and distressing state of the nation,” which Nigerians are presently grappling with.

Rising from a meeting held at the residence of its leader, Pa Ayo Adebanjo, at Isanya-Ogbo, Ogun State, the group lamented that the Federal Government sounded distant from the “pervasive hardship, unflagging insecurity and incapacitating hunger,” that Nigerians grappled with.

According to the group, this lack of empathy was evidenced by policies ostensibly aimed at compounding the woes of the people, citing the recent fuel price hike as the latest in such a posture.

Contained in a communique by the Afenifere Deputy Leader, Oba Oladipo Olaitan and Deputy Secretary-General, Alade Rotimi-John, made available to The PUNCH on Thursday, the group said it observed that there was the absence of a coherent programme of action by the Tinubu government to alleviate the hardship faced by Nigerians.

“Afenifere reviewed the unremitting distressing state of the nation’s social and economic situation under the President Bola Tinubu administration.

“Meeting observed that the distressful condition of the country is exemplified in pervasive hardship, unflagging insecurity and incapacitating hunger.

“The meeting noted the absence of official empathy respecting the people’s agonising situation.

 

“Meeting has instead observed an unwearying policy enunciation ostensibly aimed at compounding the woes of the people, e.g. the unabating fuel price hike.

“Meeting further observed the cavalier conduct of state affairs in, for instance, the absence of any coherent or unequivocal programme on the part of the government and its party.”

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has disclosed that Betta Edu, a former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, is still under investigation.

During a press briefing in Abuja on Thursday, EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede, represented by the agency’s Director of Public Affairs, Wilson Uwujaren, said controversial cross-dresser Okuneye Idris, better known as Bobrisky, is also under investigation.

 

He explained that the investigation continues into Betta Edu for alleged misconduct, with N30 billion recovered and 40 linked bank accounts under scrutiny.

On Bobrisky, EFCC stated that it will not tolerate corruption within its ranks after allegations of bribery to drop money laundering charges against the cross-dresser.

Uwujaren said: “Regarding the investigation into the allegations by Bobrisky and VeryDarkman, I am certain that the investigative process will conclude effectively. If any misconduct is confirmed, appropriate action will be taken. Throughout my years here, I have witnessed law enforcement personnel being held accountable for professional misconduct.”

On former Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu, when the investigation began, we provided updates on our progress. The Chairman mentioned monitoring over 40 accounts, which takes time to review thoroughly. These matters are ongoing.

“A senior government spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, stated that a report was submitted to the President, who acted on it by appointing a new Minister of Humanitarian Affairs. I respect this information and its source,” the EFCC said.

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Nyesom Wike, has said that the FCT Administration would not condone unprofiled vehicles in the nation’s capital beginning from January 2025.

This is as he said that all commercial buses in the nation’s capital would be profiled by the Nigeria Police Force and the Department of State Services, DSS.

Wike made this statement at the FCT Renewed Hope Youth Empowerment Programme in Abuja on Thursday, where he handed over some new cars to beneficiaries to use as taxis.

 

“They are not paying a dime. No. The government is saying this is our support to feed your family and reduce the cost of transportation in the city. Abuja should compete with other cities in the world,” the minister said.

He charged the beneficiaries not to be ashamed that they are being empowered to be taxi drivers, saying that many Nigerians who reject taxi driving jobs at home gladly embrace such when they travel abroad.

To curb cases of kidnapping and ‘one-chance’ robbery, the minister said effective January 2025, any commercial bus not duly profiled by security agencies won’t be allowed to operate within the nation’s capital.

“Most of the Keke Napep and most of the motorcycles are informants. Everybody here that is a beneficiary is being profiled by the security.

“And so what we are coming up with is that from January next year, there will be nobody that will operate as a taxi driver or a bus driver without having approval from security, with security profiling you and without going about with the Abuja colour.

“Nothing like using any vehicle on the road. No, we won’t allow that. From January, we won’t allow that.

“We will take the vehicle number, name of the drivers and the rest so everybody will have confidence that this is the vehicle I’m entering in case anything happens,” he added.