
AFOLABI
Dropbox Visa: Qualified Nigerians Can Make Interview Waiver Appointment Online — US
The United States government has denied reports, which claimed that US dropbox visa renewals were no longer available for Nigerian applicants, stressing that “qualified applicants in Nigeria are able to make Interview Waiver appointments online.”
This was disclosed in a statement issued on Wednesday by the US State Department Press Office, following inquiries by LEADERSHIP amid growing concerns about how this decision may affect Nigerian applicants.
The Dropbox system allowed applicants, especially those with a recent US travel history, to submit passports without interviews, making the visa renewal process faster.
However, there was a recent report that the Dropbox visa processing option has been discontinued for United States visa applicants in Nigeria, marking a significant change in the US visa renewal procedures.
The report quoted sources which confirmed that the service, which previously allowed eligible applicants to renew their visas without an in-person interview, has been quietly removed from the appointment booking system.
“Applicants attempting to schedule visa renewals have reported that the Dropbox feature was no longer an option on the appointment booking platform, suggesting that it may be due to a slew of executive orders from President Donald Trump.
“The development came amid a backlog of visa applications, with many applicants waiting for months to secure Dropbox appointments before the removal,” the report said.
According to the report, applicants have expressed frustration over the lengthy wait for physical appointments, which has reportedly taken nearly a year.
“With the Dropbox option removed and unavailable slots in Lagos since January, applicants may now be required to travel to Abuja for in-person interviews, reverting to the pre-2020 process,” the report said.
Following the viral report, chairman of the Nigeria’s House Of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, Hon. Oluwole Oke, assured that the federal government will take diplomatic action and engage with US relevant authorities to address the suspension of the Dropbox service for Nigerians renewing their US visas.
The lawmaker, who spoke to a National Television platform on Tuesday, stated, “I don’t think this is a serious issue. The United States has the right to cancel the Dropbox procedure for Nigerians renewing their visas. In diplomacy, there is the principle of reciprocity.
“As for visa renewal, that’s not a service we offer Americans in the United States. When Americans or Nigerians born in America want to renew their visas, we don’t provide them with a drop box. The fact that they gave us the option was entirely their choice.”
National Grid Suffers First Collapse In 2025
The national grid witnessed another system collapse at 11:am on Wednesday, plunging many Nigerians into darkness.
Most power plants were affected at 11 a.m. when power generation stood at 4,064 megawatts, but by 12 p.m., it plummeted to 1,203MW before completely collapsing to 0.00MW by 1 p.m.
The Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) confirmed the collapse on its X (formerly Twitter) handle.
“Dear Valued Customer, We regret to inform you that a system disturbance occurred on the national grid at 11:34 am today causing a power outage across our franchise areas.
“While gradual restoration of power supply has commenced, please be assured that we are working closely with relevant stakeholders to fully restore electricity as soon as the grid is stabilised. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to serve you better.”
The Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IEDC) also reported the incident on X.
“Please be informed that we experienced a system outage today 12th February, 2025 at 11:34hrs affecting all our feeders.
“Restoration of supply is ongoing in collaboration with our critical stakeholders.”
This marks the first grid collapse in 2025 after 12 grid collapses in 2024.
Ex-PDP Chair, Others Dump Party For APC In Ebonyi
The immediate-past Acting Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Ebonyi State, Barr. Ifeanyi Nworie, alongside his supporters has dumped the PDP and joined the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the State.
Welcoming Barr. Nworie to the party during a civic reception organised in his honour by the people of Ezza South local government area, the State Chairman of the APC, Chief Stanley Emegha called for continued support for the state governor to achieve his dreams and agenda for the people of Ebonyi State.
He said crisis and bitterness does no man any good, adding that he has also approached the governorship candidate of the opposition PDP in the 2023 general election, Mr. Ifeanyichukwuma Odii to join hands with Governor Francis Nwifuru to move the state forward.
Emegha urged the Ezza South local government party chairman and other stakeholders of the party to ensure that those who joined the party are all accommodated and carried along in the activities of the party.
He maintained that the APC is a disciplined party, and urged the defectors to be mindful of their action while warning against acts that would bring crisis within the party.
Chairman of Ezza South local government area, Mrs. Euphemia Nwali said that the development stride of Governor Nwifuru since the inception of his administration has continued to attract people from the opposition parties to the APC.
She maintained that the people have witnessed the transformation and the laudable achievements of the Governor, assuring that Nwifuru will continue to ensure an open-door policy.
In his response, Barr. Nworie who spoke on behalf of other defectors said he did not join the APC because of the crisis in PDP, he however promised to join hands with the state government to move the state forward.
Nworie assured that he will not be a party to fractionalization of the party, noting that his dream is to see the party win all elective positions in the 2027 general election.
Asake confirms exit from YBNL, unveils own label
Nigerian singer, Ahmed Ololade, popularly known as Asake, has confirmed his exit from YBNL Nation.
There were speculations that Asake had parted ways with Olamide’s YBNL in a controversial manner.
Asake confirmed his exit from YBNL by releasing his latest song, ‘Why Love’ under his own imprint, Giran Republic on Wednesday, February 12, 2025. See screenshot below:
The singer previously paid homage to Olamide in his first single of the year, ‘Military,’ silencing rumours of a rift between them.
Asake got signed to YBNL Nation in February 2022.
In July 2022, Asake signed a distribution deal with Empire.
Despite his exit from YBNL, Asake still maintains his deal with Empire.

The serial-chart topper dropped the new song where he paid tribute to his rumoured ex record label boss, Olamide. In the audio shared online, Asake on getting to the second verse of the song gave the top rapper a shout-out.
Sing-rapping in Yoruba, Asake told his detractors to keep saying whatever they wish while also stating that he just doesn’t feel great when speaking English.
He boasted that he had more money than other stars in his generation and could simply decide to drop a surprise album, emphasizing his desire to do as he wishes.
The part where Asake praised Olamide, drew the attention of several Nigerians online. Many of them compared the Grammy-nominated musician to Portable, whose career was also positively impacted by Olamide.
Portable runs to church to pray amid legal battle with Ogun government
Nigerian singer Habeeb Okikiola, popularly known as Portable, has run to church for prayers amid his ongoing legal battle with the Ogun State government.
The controversial artist was recently declared wanted for allegedly assaulting town planning officials who visited his business premises.
Reports indicate that while some of his associates have been arrested, Portable has continued to evade arrest. Instead, he has been pleading with the government for leniency.
In a now-viral video, the singer was seen in a church, dressed in a white garment, fervently praying for divine intervention.

His unexpected religious turn has sparked widespread reactions on social media. While some believe he is genuinely seeking help, others dismiss his actions as another of his publicity stunts.
This is not the first time Portable has been involved in legal troubles. The singer, known for his erratic behavior and controversial statements, has had multiple run-ins with the authorities in the past. Despite this, he continues to maintain a strong fan base that often rallies behind him.
As the case unfolds, it remains unclear whether the singer will turn himself in or continue to evade arrest. The Ogun State government, however, has insisted that the law must take its course.
Ruth Kadiri raises alarm over wedding anxiety, societal pressure
Actress and producer Ruth Kadiri has shared her thoughts on the pressure and anxiety surrounding weddings, especially the expectation of having a large bridal party.
In a video on the photo and video sharing platform, Instagram, Ruth Kadiri expressed concern for individuals with small social circles who might feel inadequate when seeing weddings with large entourages.
She questioned why intimate weddings with fewer friends are rarely showcased, suggesting that sharing such moments could offer reassurance to those feeling anxious about their own guest lists.
The actress asserted that merely witnessing such gives her panic attacks on behalf of brides with small circles.
Ruth Kadiri emphasized the importance of normalizing simple, close-knit celebrations and allowing couples to focus on their special day without societal pressure.
“What I want to talk about are weddings. Am I the only one who sometimes see wedding pictures, how the bride sits with 15-20 of her friends and have a panic attack? What happens to those girls who are not usually friendly people. They just live their lives on their own. They don’t have friends. Sometimes they don’t have family, how do they cope? Are you also dealing with the same type of anxiety that I deal with on your behalf?
“The fear of who is going to attend my wedding. I mean why can’t we also see pictures of people who get married truly without friends and the pictures are cute so they can give hope. Do you know some people have never had parties because they’re afraid people are not going to come, and they also genuinely not have friends.”
'She's my world, beg her to marry me' - 2Baba continues to express love for lover, Natasha Osawuru
Legendary singer Innocent Idibia, better known as 2Baba, has made a passionate appeal to Nigerians over his new lawmaker girlfriend, Natasha Osawaru.
The father of seven in a video via his Instagram page, confirmed his relationship with Natasha. He revealed that he loves the lawmaker and plans to marry her.
2Baba also made it known that she had nothing to do with the breakdown of his marriage to Annie, claiming he and his estranged actress wife have an understanding.
In a fresh post on his official photo and video sharing platform, Instagram, 2Baba for the first time boldly shared a photo of Natasha and urged netizens to help beg his new partner to marry him. He went on to describe her as his world. He simply wrote:
“Now this is my world. Make una help me beg am to marry me”.
See screenshot of 2Baba’s post below:
WITHIN NIGERIA reported that an earlier Instagram post announced the end of the African Queen hitmaker’s 13-year marriage to actress Annie. The post read:
“Hello to my beautiful people of all federations. Well, this thing I have to say is short but also long…I and Annie Macaulay have been separated for a while now, and currently filed for divorce.
“I would grant a press release soon to say my story. Not because it is anyone’s right to know about my personal life but because I love my people and I need them to know my innocence or offense. Stay blessed my people. I love you all.”
Shortly after, it was deleted and another post appeared on the same account, claiming that the page had been compromised. It read:
“My Instagram account has been hacked, efforts are being carried out to take back control. #onelove!”
However, in a surprising turn of events, 2Baba later released a video of himself clarifying the situation.
In the veteran singer’s latest reveal, shared on his Instagram story on Sunday night January 26, he confirmed that a controversial post on his social media page regarding his separation from his wife, Annie Idibia, was indeed made by him.
He disclosed that his account had not been hacked, contrary to the previous statement, and implied that the initial post about his separation was authentic. This earned him a barrage of backlash from many celebrities and netizens alike.
Policeman remanded for allegedly raping 17-year-old girl inside Lagos office
An Ogba Magistrate Court in Lagos State, on Tuesday, ordered the remand of 56-year-old policeman Owolabi Akinlolu at the Maximum Correctional Centre Kirikiri for allegedly raping a 17-year-old girl in his office.
Owolabi, a Deputy Superintendent of Police at the Ogudu Police Station in Lagos, allegedly raped the survivor in his office after promising to help recover her phone, which was stolen by one-chance robbers while she was returning from Ikeja with her grandmother and siblings.
Akinlolu reportedly summoned the teenager to his office on June 29, claiming they had apprehended the suspect who had stolen her phone two weeks earlier.
Upon arriving at the police station, the senior police officer allegedly locked his office door behind him and raped the teenager.
In July 2024, the survivor’s mother, Mrs Aramide Olupona, accused the police of attempting to cover up the case, revealing that the suspect’s wife and family had pleaded with her to drop the charges, as Akinlolu was set to retire in December 2024.
At the Magistrate Court 11 on Tuesday, the prosecution counsel, backed by a seven-paragraph affidavit, urged the court to remand the defendant, stating that the offence of defilement violates Section 137 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
In response to the prosecution’s request, Magistrate O.O. Fagboun ordered the defendant’s remand at the Maximum Correctional Centre and adjourned the case until March 11, 2025, for trial and further proceedings.
I served Tinubu govt without pay, rejected N5bn fraudulent offer — Fela Durotoye
Renowned leadership coach and former presidential candidate of the defunct Alliance for New Nigeria, Fela Durotoye, has revealed how he rejected an opportunity to siphon N5bn in a fraudulent government deal, despite immense pressure from an official who claimed to be a pastor.
Speaking on Tuesday, at the ongoing biannual conference of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria in Abuja, Durotoye recounted the experience, which he described as a test of integrity.
This is according to a Church Times Nigeria report on Wednesday.
According to him, the official approached him with a lucrative training contract, insisting that he had already been selected for the job.
The programme involved training people in all 774 local government areas of Nigeria within eight weeks, and Durotoye was assured that he fit the criteria perfectly.
Upon request, he prepared an invoice, ensuring the cost was strictly based on actual expenses.
His team calculated a fair price of N1.3 bn for the training.
But just three days later, a call from the presidency changed everything.
“I got a call congratulating me that I had secured the job.
“But they said the amount I was asking for was too small. They promised to add N700m to make it N2bn. Then they asked me to submit an invoice for N5bn,” Durotoye recalled.
Alarmed, he questioned the ethics of inflating the price, especially for a training centred on ethical leadership.
The official, however, dismissed his concerns.
“The man assured me he wasn’t ripping off Nigeria.
“He said he had served the country and deserved compensation. When I reminded him that the blessings of God make one rich and add no sorrow, he fired back, saying, ‘There is no sorrow in this one. You have been doing well for Nigeria. It is time for Nigeria to do well for you,'” Durotoye said.
As pressure mounted, Durotoye claimed he made a bold decision—he switched off his phone.
He added that three months later, news broke that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission had arrested some presidency officials for stealing N426m from an ethical leadership training fund.
Reflecting on the ordeal, he emphasised the importance of strong moral values.
“Only your values can help you turn down corrupt tendencies,” he warned.
Durotoye also revealed details about his time serving under the Tinubu administration as Special Assistant to the President.
“I did not collect an official car, I did not collect a house, and I did not collect a salary for serving.
“It was difficult to get my letter out because, according to somebody in government, my refusal to collect those things would make it difficult to pin me to corruption,” he stated.
Despite the challenges, he said he encountered like-minded individuals in government who shared his commitment to integrity.
“When we have the right values, there won’t be corruption in this land,” he concluded.
Bandit leaders ‘surrender’ to troops in Katsina, ‘free’ hostages
Several notorious bandit leaders, terrorising Batsari, Safana, and Jibia LGAs of Katsina, have reportedly surrendered to the troops of the Nigerian Army.
Zagazola Makama, a counter-insurgency publication focused on the Lake Chad region, identified those who surrendered as Abu Radda, Umar Black, Abdullahi Lankai, Jijjige, and Dabar Musa Dan Gandu, who have all operated from the Jibia axis.
The publication quoted security sources as saying the bandits embraced the peace deal and surrendered following sustained military operations in the region.
Makama said the repentant bandits handed over their weapons to the troops and released several hostages they had abducted.
According to the publication, the former bandits appealed to the government to provide them with alternative means of livelihood, requesting engagement in the construction of markets and hospitals.
They vowed to embrace peace and end their involvement in criminal activities, it added.
Their surrender was reportedly facilitated by the National Community for Security and Societal Advancement in Katsina (NCSOSACK), led by Hamisa Batsari.
On Monday, the defence headquarters (DHQ) said 800 former Boko Haram fighters who surrendered to the military are currently undergoing deradicalisation for onward reintegration into society.
Below are photos.