AFOLABI

AFOLABI

Nigerian social media sensation and relentless crusader, Martins Vincent Otse, known as Verydarkman (VDM), has once again turned up the heat in his ongoing clash with Idris Okuneye, aka Bobrisky.

This time, VDM, on Monday, October 7, dropped Part 2 of the explosive audio recordings, a calculated strike against the transgender influencer that has sent shockwaves through online platforms.

Coming in the wake of flat denials from the EFCC and prison officials implicated in the scandal, VDM’s timing, according to his followers, couldn’t have been more perfect—he’s proving he had more up his sleeve all along, waiting for just the right moment to unravel the truth.

The newly released audio, allegedly from May 2024, paints a damning picture of what went down during Bobrisky’s time at the rumored private prison where the crossdresser was said to be held in seclusion.

In this recording, Bobrisky is reportedly caught making yet another phone call, this time revealing far more than he may have intended.

The crossdresser is allegedly heard telling a close friend about her deep ties with a powerful ‘Godfather,’ a shadowy figure who allegedly arranged for a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN) to step in and handle the delicate situation.

But that’s not all. Bobrisky is said to have also spoken about dealings with prison officials and even the EFCC, hinted at how far his connections run.

 

Then came the jaw-dropper: Bobrisky allegedly addressed the discovery of large sums of money in his account by the EFCC, brushing off any criminal implications by claiming the funds came from his influencer work, where he claims he earns as much as $100,000 per job.

Verydarkman, however, was left floored, not only by the supposed earnings, but by the eerie background voice that surfaced in the audio—allegedly that of a maid assigned to Bobrisky during her time in prison. This unexpected detail threw VDM and his followers into a frenzy, raising even more suspicions about the influence and power Bobrisky wields behind bars.

In classic VDM fashion, he didn’t just release the audio quietly. With sharp precision, he captioned the recording and tagged the very prison officials who had previously denied any involvement, calling them out and daring them to listen to the incriminating evidence.

Verydarkman wrote;

Before them bring lawsut @official_bto come and see what went down in your prison,.this is A well detailed confession from bobrisky,which involves everyone deeply,EFCC,SAN AND,CORRECTIONAL,bobrisky even get maid oo for alleged prlson

 

Famous presenter Toke Makinwa has captured attention online with her breathtaking outfit at the grand finale of the Big Brother Naija (BBNaija) reality show, held on Sunday night, October 6, 2024.

The media personality dazzled attendees in a striking red dress featuring intricate net and mesh detailing, which captivated fans and fashion enthusiasts.

The outfit, designed by notable fashion designer Veekee James, showcased Toke’s unique style with its vintage flair, highlighted by stylish gloves.

 
Toke Makinwa turns heads as she unveils her BBNaija finale outfit
Toke Makinwa.

One glove elegantly adorned her bosom, while another rested on her abdomen.

 
 

Toke Makinwa’s bold outfit choice did not go unnoticed on social media, where fans and followers took to Instagram to express their admiration for her stunning appearance.

Many fans and colleagues showered her with compliments, praising her ability to slay in any outfit she wears.

Staff of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, NAFDAC, embarked on an indefinite nationwide strike on Monday following the expiration of a 14-day ultimatum issued to the agency’s management.

This is coming after a meeting convened on Friday, October 4, 2024 over unresolved issues.

The staff’s demands include a review and re-evaluation of the 2024 promotion examination results, which currently show a pass rate of only 35 percent.

 

The union is also advocating for a minimum benchmark of 80 percent for this year’s and future promotion exams.

Another significant demand is the settlement of salary arrears for employees hired in 2022.

In a statement signed by the association’s Secretary, Ejor Michael, the union accused NAFDAC management of neglecting their grievances, labelling the inaction as insufferable.

The striking workers, following the directive of the Senior Staff Association of Statutory Corporations and Government-Owned Companies (SSASCGOC), have been instructed to withdraw all services and vacate their offices.

They were also told to remove personal belongings as the strike commences.

The workers have vowed to continue the strike until all demands listed in their communiqué are fulfilled.

The Minister of Art, Culture and Creative Economy, Hannatu Musawa has claimed that she has done the National Youth Service Corp (NYSC) at least twice.

Musawa made the claim while addressing the controversy surrounding her NYSC certificate scandal.

 

She stated this on Sunday during an appearance on Channels Television’s Politics Today.

The Minister has been in the public’s eye after failing to provide the Nigerian Senate with evidence that she participated in the mandatory NYSC scheme when she appeared for her screening after President Bola Tinubu sent her name for confirmation.

Her confirmation in 2023 subsequently led to a legal firework instituted by some aggrieved Nigerians who described her appointment without completing the mandatory service as an aberration.

Speaking on the situation, Musawa said she would not set the record straight concerning the controversy.

She insisted that she was not ready to deliberate the issue with anybody until an undisclosed period when she would be willing to come clean on what transpired.

She said, “I don’t know what you have heard. There have been so many different accounts of that particular situation. The fact that I am sitting here means that I didn’t do anything wrong. But I have not come out to set the record straight as to what happened. The social media has just run rife with different accounts.

“The matter had been adjudicated and one day, I will come out with my account. I have probably done more NYSC than you (presenter). I have done at least two NYSCs in my life.”

When quizzed further on why she was shying away from the question despite knowing that she owed Nigerians an explanation for the exalted office she holds, the minister kicked.

“I think what I owe Nigerians is to say that I didn’t do anything wrong. I didn’t break the law. The NYSC I did and finished. That is the much I can tell you. Everything I did was by the law.

“That was why I also said that one day I would come out with my account of what happened to set the record straight. As of now, I think it is important for me to focus on giving Nigerians the deliverables,” she said.

Naija News reports that according to NYSC regulations, the program is designed as a one-time experience for eligible Nigerian graduates.

The law stipulates that once a corps member has completed the program and received their discharge certificate, they are not permitted to re-enroll.

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) has officially ceased its exclusive purchase arrangement with Dangote Refinery, opening the market for other petroleum marketers to buy petrol directly from the refinery.

This significant development, reported by PREMIUM TIMES, shifts the market away from the NNPC’s exclusive purchasing role, providing room for marketers to negotiate prices with Dangote on a “willing buyer, willing seller” basis.

 

This transition aligns with Nigeria’s current market practices for fully deregulated products like diesel, aviation fuel, and kerosene, which are already open to direct sales.

Dangote Refinery, with its 650,000 barrels per day capacity, began producing petrol in September. Initially, Dangote’s Vice President, Devakumar Edwin, noted that the NNPC would be the exclusive buyer.

However, recent statements from the NNPC clarified that the refinery is free to sell to any interested marketer, removing its previous single-offtaker stance.

On 15 September, NNPC began loading petrol from Dangote Refinery, but it initially limited access to major marketers.

Independent marketers, however, were excluded from lifting the product.

Responding to this, Nigeria’s House of Representatives called on the government to instruct both NNPC and Dangote Refinery to allow independent marketers access.

Lawmaker Oboku Oforji expressed concern that excluding independent marketers could foster monopolistic practices, ultimately pushing some marketers to import fuel to stay competitive.

NNPCL and the major marketers being the exclusive off-takers spells monopoly, which is tantamount to greed. This is the same NNPC Ltd that has failed to manage our crude and refineries for decades,” the lawmaker said at the time.

Further fueling the discussion, sources confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that NNPC intends to step down as the sole purchaser, enabling direct access to the refinery’s petrol for all marketers.

This change may encourage competitive pricing and help stabilize supply chains. The NNPC spokesperson was unavailable for comment, but an official did confirm the news, stating, “Yes, it is true. We can no longer continue to bear that burden.”

In September, NNPC reportedly purchased petrol from Dangote at ₦898.78 per litre but resold to marketers at ₦765.99 per litre, absorbing a subsidy of nearly ₦133 per litre.

During this period, NNPC lifted approximately 103 million litres of petrol from Dangote Refinery, although only 2,207 of 3,621 scheduled trucks were successfully loaded, accounting for just 26% of the targeted volume.

Market Implications

NNPC’s exit as the exclusive petrol buyer signals a move toward a fully liberalized fuel market in Nigeria, potentially ending petrol subsidies.

With NNPC no longer responsible for the price differential, marketers will now purchase at cost directly from Dangote and set their own prices, which could result in higher fuel prices for consumers.

Additionally, marketers can now source petrol from multiple suppliers, not just Dangote, fostering a more competitive market environment that could contribute to supply stability across Nigeria.

This broader access might also stimulate investment in storage and distribution infrastructure, potentially improving product availability nationwide.

On Saturday, the Akwa Ibom State Independent Electoral Commission (AKISIEC) conducted local government elections in the 31 LGAs and 369 wards of the state.

In the result posted by AKISIEC on Sunday, the PDP won in 30 LGAs, while the All Progressives Congress (APC) claimed one local council.

Typically, the electoral commission publishes the results announced by returning officers for each LGA — but the election in the south-south state took a bizarre turn in Essien Udim.

Godswill Akpabio, senate president and former governor of Akwa Ibom, hails from Esien Udim LGA of the state.

Inyang Ating, a professor from the University of Uyo who served as AKISIEC returning officer for Essien Udim LGA, had declared Enobong Patrick Friday of the PDP as the winner of the election in the area.

Announcing the results, Ating said Friday scored a total of 55,612 votes, while Usoro Ntiedo of the APC got 686 votes.

“That Enobong P. Friday of the PDP having complied with the requirement of the law and scored the majority votes is hereby declared elected,” he said.

“I want to add that Enobong P. Friday, in addition to scoring the majority votes, had more than 25 percent in all the 13 wards of Esien Udim local area.”

However, AKISIEC published Ntiedo’s name as the winner of the poll.

The result was signed by Aniedi Ikoiwak, AKISIEC chairman.

The state electoral commission did not explain why Ntiedo was declared winner — contradicting the results announced by the returning officer.

A former Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Austin Okpara, has said the outcome of the Rivers Local Government election showed that the people of the state were tired of oppression and dictatorship.

The chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party in Rivers State asserted that Rivers people have been liberated due to the success of the October 5 local council elections.

In an interview on Channels Television’s Sunday Politics programme, Okpara said the oil-rich state now has a governor who wants to serve the people, not an emperor.

He said, “What it portends is that Rivers people are tired of oppression, Rivers people are tired of emperorship, Rivers people are tired of dictatorship.

“The difference now is that we have a governor who wants to serve and not be served, not a governor who Adolf Hitler is his mentor or (Donald) Trump. Rivers people feel liberated; Rivers people are happy; they came out in their numbers to vote, and they are excited.”

Okpara also berated the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, for trying to control the structures of the state’s PDP and the All Progressives Congress.

The former ally of Wike said he dumped the minister and moved to Governor Siminalayi Fubara’s camp because of ideological differences.

 

He said, “A man wants to control the APC structure, but he wants to be in control of the PDP structure in a state? How do you explain that?

“We were political associates, but now we are no longer. The point of our disagreement was when he supported the APC in the 2023 presidential election at the expense of the PDP.”

Okpara applauded Fubara for defying all odds to hold the state’s local government election despite the PDP and APC withdrawal, stating that the governor had no option.

He said, “We should give credit to Governor Fubara because by the end of the month, any state that does not have (a) democratically elected local government structure will not receive money. What’s the implication? It means that civil servants at the local government level will not be paid? Families will be deprived.

“So, Governor Fubara was helpless in this situation, sacrificed and ensured that rather than go on a party line, let there be an election so that the state would continue to benefit from FAAC allocations.

“We cannot describe that as an anti-party because his party is where he belonged. If you listen to his speech today (Sunday), he said he is still a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, and his party opted out of the election. How do you explain that? A PDP state? His party opted out, so he decided to hold the election.”

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has said that Nigerians will appreciate him soon for the tough policies his administration is currently taking.

He stated this during the South-West Assembly of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the Eko Hotels and Suites, Lagos on Saturday, October 5.

The event was attended by leaders of the APC in the southwest geopolitical zone, including governors, deputy governors, federal and state lawmakers, and former elected officials.

Speaking through his Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, who represented him at the occasion, President Tinubu said the reforms initiated by the current administration have exposed the party to widespread criticism. He assured the APC members that his tough decisions would set the country on the path, adding that he appreciates the support shown to his administration.

The president added that he is not thinking about the 2027 election but about improving the lives of Nigerians and bequeathing a prosperous country to the next generation.

“We acknowledge that our decisions have been tough, but they needed to be taken. The gains are at the end of the tunnel. That time will come when we will all be happy and thank our government for taking those decisions. Right now, I am not thinking of the next election but about the next generation.

This is why we are implementing reforms that are long overdue. This is the hallmark of a true leader.”

Members at the Church of the Brethren (EYN) Moduganari in Maiduguri, Borno State, were thrown into confusion on Sunday following the death of their pastor, Reverend Alaku Vincent.

The tragedy struck when Vincent suddenly slumped and died during a child dedication ceremony in the church.

According to Punch, efforts to revive Vincent were unsuccessful, and he was pronounced dead shortly after.

While the cause of death has not been officially disclosed, church members and colleagues have taken to social media to mourn the loss of their beloved pastor.

In a Facebook post, the District Church Secretary of Church Brethren of Nigeria, Timothy Hammajam, described the deceased as “a visionary leader with focus.”

He added, “KBC DCM 2003 graduating class will ever miss your elderly and prophetic words. May God comfort EYN and your family.”

Another church member with the Facebook name Prince Malikson Papaman shared a tribute, describing Vincent’s departure as leaving an “unfillable void” but took comfort in the Bible’s assurance that his death is but a sleep.

He said, “Just a few hours ago, he stood confidently on the altar… passionately shepherding his flock.

“His powerful message still resonates in my mind, as he emphasized the importance of family unity in worship.

“Little did I know it would be his final sermon.

“Rest in eternal peace, Rev. Vincent Alaku. Until we meet again.”

Suspected hoodlums have set sections of Eleme and Ikwerre local government secretariats in Rivers state on fire.

The torching comes barely hours after Kayode Egbetokun, inspector-general of police, ordered the immediate withdrawal of police personnel from the secretariats of the 23 LGAs of the state.

Grace Iringe-Koko, police spokesperson in Rivers, who announced the development, said the IGP’s directive “is in line with the commitment of the Nigeria Police Force stance to ensure neutrality and the smooth functioning of democratic institutions”.

Reports say some of the newly elected chairpersons and councillors arrived the facilities to the sight of thick black smoke billowing from what should be their new offices.

There are also reports of widespread chaos in a raft of other LGAs in Rivers, as the new council bosses set out their stalls for governance.

On Sunday, Siminalayi Fubara, Rivers governor, swore in 23 newly elected local government chairpersons.

The Action Peoples Party (APP) won 22 LGAs in Saturday’s election, while the Action Alliance (AA) was victorious in one LGA.

Speaking at the swearing-in ceremony on Sunday, Fubara said there were plans to perpetrate violence against the elected officials on Monday.

“I’m aware that they are mobilising 20 people per unit to go and confront you tomorrow when you resume in your local government headquarters,” Fubara said.

“Please if they are coming with violence, avoid them.

“The peace of this state is too important to us. Everybody knows what they are planning but please I want to beg everyone to follow my approach.

“At the right time, you will always win if you are patient and calculative. We have made our promises to our people. We are going to lead them to the promised land.”

There has been palpable tension in Rivers due to the prolonged turf war between Fubara and Nyesom Wike, minister of the federal capital territory (FCT).

On October 3, a crowd besieged the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) secretariat in Port Harcourt, the Rivers state capital, to protest against the LGA election.

Hours before commencement of voting, an explosion reportedly rocked the secretariat of an All Progressives Congress (APC) faction led by Tony Okocha, the ex-chairman of the APC caretaker committee in the state.

On Saturday, Police officers reportedly disrupted the local government election in Elekahia primary school, Port Harcourt.