AFOLABI

AFOLABI

The National Vice-Chairman of the Labour Party, North-Central, Ibrahim Idoko has slammed the National Coordinator of the ‘Obidient Movement’, Yunusa Tanko, for claiming that the movement is bigger than the Labour Party and, therefore, brought it into the limelight.

In a recent interview with Arise News, Tanko, while asserting that the movement is larger than the party, also noted its independence and the possibility of moving to another political platform to uphold its values of good governance and accountability in the forthcoming 2027 elections, should it become necessary for the Labour Party to embrace its ideas.

In a press statement released to journalists on Wednesday, Idoko, dismissed Tanko’s comments, describing him as a political opportunist trying to please his paymasters.

He noted that the LP had been winning elections and making significant progress without the Obidient Movement for many years, adding that Tanko’s assertion should be disregarded by all party members and supporters across the country.

 

The statement read: “To say the least, this is laughable, coming from a one-time national chairman of a deregistered political party. Tanko and his allies need a brief history lesson on the Labour Party and its successes before the rise of the Obidient Movement.

“It is obvious that Tanko and his co-travellers are either living in denial or are grossly misinformed; either way, they are just being mischievous.

“The Labour Party has been winning elections across Nigeria long before now. For the record, His Excellency, Alex Otti, the current Governor of Abia State, is not the first governor elected on the platform of the Labour Party.

“His Excellency, Olusegun Mimiko, a former Governor of Ondo State, was a two-term governor. The party has also had National Assembly and House of Assembly members in various states.

“It should be noted that well-recognised politicians such as Senator Ovie Omo-Agege of Delta State, Senator Joshua Dariye of Plateau State, and Hon. Samuel Godday of Benue State, among others, were elected under the Labour Party’s platform.

“Tanko is simply being mischievous and seeking relevance from his paymasters. If Tanko and his allies wish to pursue an alternative path to the LP in 2027, so be it. We bear no grudges, but we are confident that under the leadership of Barr. Julius Abure and the current National Working Committee, the Labour Party will only grow stronger, and in 2027, LP will emerge victorious in the elections.”

Idoko, who is also the current LP chairman for Benue State, further reiterated the North-Central LP chairmen’s commitment to providing maximum support to Abure to help him elevate the party to greater heights.

A member of the House of Representatives, Obi Aguocha, has decried the treatment of Ndigbo in Nigeria when compared to other tribes.

The member representing Ikwuano/Umuahia federal constituency, Aguocha, said the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu, ought to have been granted the same privilege given to Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Igboho and human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore.

 

In an interview with Arise TV on Tuesday, Aguocha stated that while Igboho and the former presidential candidate of the African Action Congress (AAC), Sowore, enjoyed the privilege of Section 174 of the 1999 Constitution, it is not the same for Kanu.

He disclosed that Kanu’s detention remains an injustice that has been condemned by stakeholders.

I can tell you, a whole lot of things have been done, not just by me, but well meaning Nigerians, stakeholders who have found this to be an issue of injustice.

“The last time I was there, I said it would appear that there are two sets of rules in Nigeria, one for every other Nigerian, another one for the Igbo man. Where every other Nigerian will scale certain circumstances, the Igbo man will find it very difficult to scale.

“What we thought would have been more meaningful is the invocation of section 174, of the Nigerian constitution that allows the Attorney General before the determination or a judgment of the court that he can write to withdraw the matter.

“There are precedents that are already been set on this. So we are just asking, Well, the way they have done for Igboho, the way they have done, for Sowore and many others, that Nnamdi Kanu is entitled to those fundamental rights, right as a citizen,” Aguocha said.

The Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has distanced itself from the new terror group operating in the north known as Lakurawa.

Miyetti Allah added that its members are also victims of the illegal activities of Lakurawa.

 
 

The Kebbi State Chapter of the Miyetti Allah group made the clarification in a statement by its secretary in Kebbi State, Abubakar Lamido, who distanced the group from the recent killing of six indigenous Fulani and the destruction of 185 settlements and 42-grain silos in a reprisal attack.

MACBAN said the attack was carried out by the volunteers’ security known as Yansa Kai following the killing of 15 persons in Mera last Friday.

Lamido disclosed further that Lakurawa terrorists have been terrorising pastoralists through forceful taxation called (Zakat), and sometimes confiscated their animals and collected money ranging from N300,000 to N20m,120 cows, 51 goats and sheep from Fulani cattle rearers in the Augie area of the state.

“Lakurawa are hardened criminals, and should be treated as such. We are not associated with them. We are worst affected by their illegalities,” the statement said.

MACBAN added that members of the terror group are international criminals, and have been moving freely with sophisticated weapons around Gudu Local Government Area of Sokoto State, Arewa Local Government Area of Kebbi State, and around Nigeria and Niger Republic borders.

It, therefore, called for urgent government intervention in arresting the criminals and support for victims of the reprisal attack, saying they had lost the foodstuff they harvested, shelter and cattle.

A man named Olamide Akinolu was allegedly beaten to death by unidentified individuals at the Osas Hotel in the Wadoye community of Ifo Local Government Area, Ogun State.

PUNCH Online learnt from locals on Wednesday that the incident occurred on Tuesday around 12:40 p.m.

The 30-year-old victim had reportedly gone to the hotel to meet a man to whom he had paid N50,000 to rent musical instruments when he was allegedly attacked by some suspects.

While the Ogun State Police Command did not disclose the motive behind the assault, local sources told our correspondent that Akinolu began vomiting blood after the alleged attack.

 

Following the victim’s condition after the assault, our correspondent learnt that witnesses rushed Akinolu to a nearby hospital, where a doctor on duty pronounced him dead.

The command’s spokesperson, Omolola Odutola, confirmed the incident to PUNCH Online on Wednesday morning and stated that efforts were underway to apprehend those responsible.

She said, “The victim’s father reported the incident to the Ajuwon Division. His son had gone to the hotel to meet a man to whom he had paid N50,000 to rent some musical instruments.

 

“As a result, he sustained serious injuries and was taken to the hospital, where the doctor pronounced him dead. This prompted a group of people to organise an attack on the hotel.

“The hotel manager was injured, and several instruments were damaged during the violence. Our officers were dispatched to the scene to restore order. Meanwhile, the body has been taken to a mortuary in Olambe for examination and autopsy.”

Across Nigeria, the children of well-known political figures are increasingly following in their parents’ footsteps, assuming important roles in both state and national government.

Notably, after his inauguration on November 12, Edo State Governor Monday Okpebholo appointed Dr. Cyril Adams Oshiomhole, the son of former Governor Adams Oshiomhole, as the new Commissioner for Health-designate.

 

Here are some other children of influential Nigerian politicians who are making their mark in public service.

 

Adams Oshiomhole and Cyril Adams Oshiomhole

Adams Oshiomhole, a former Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) president and Edo State governor, is a current senator representing Edo North. His son, Dr. Cyril Adams Oshiomhole, earned his MBBS from Ahmadu Bello University and a Master’s degree in Public Health. He was recently appointed as the Commissioner for Health-designate in Edo State.

Olusegun Obasanjo and Iyabo Obasanjo

Olusegun Obasanjo, a two-time Nigerian leader, first as a military head of state and later as a democratically elected president, has seen his daughter, Iyabo Obasanjo, follow his political path. Iyabo served as a senator for Ogun Central from 2007 to 2011, after holding the position of Ogun State Commissioner for Health from 2003 to 2007.

Nasir El-Rufai and Mohammed Bello El-Rufai

Nasir El-Rufai, who served as Minister for the Federal Capital Territory and later as governor of Kaduna State, has seen his son, Mohammed Bello El-Rufai, rise through political ranks. Mohammed served as Senior Legislative Aide and Chief of Staff to Senator Uba Sani, and is now a lawmaker in the House of Representatives.

Musiliu Obanikoro and Ibrahim Babajide Obanikoro

Musiliu Obanikoro, a former senator and High Commissioner to Ghana, saw his son Ibrahim Babajide Obanikoro enter politics as a member of the House of Representatives, representing Eti-Osa Federal Constituency.

Ifeanyi Okowa and Marilyn Okowa-Daramola

 

Ifeanyi Okowa, the former Governor of Delta State, has seen his daughter, Marilyn Okowa-Daramola, start her public service career as a Senior Special Assistant on Girl-Child Empowerment. In 2023, she was elected into the Delta State House of Assembly.

James Ibori and Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu

James Ibori, a former governor of Delta State, is the father of Erhiatake Ibori-Suenu, who now represents the Ethiope Federal Constituency in the House of Representatives.

David Mark and Blessing Onuh

David Mark, a retired brigadier general and former Nigerian Senate president, has a daughter, Blessing Onuh, who is currently a member of the House of Representatives, representing the Otukpo/Ohimini Federal Constituency in Benue State.

Adebayo Alao-Akala and Olamijuwonlo Alao-Akala

Olamijuwonlo Alao-Akala, the son of the late former Oyo State Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala, is a member of the House of Representatives, representing Ogbomosho Federal Constituency. He also chairs the Young Parliamentarians Forum (YPF) in the 10th National Assembly.

Olusegun Osoba and Olumide Osoba

Olusegun Osoba, who twice served as Governor of Ogun State, has seen his son, Olumide Osoba, continue the family’s political legacy. Olumide is currently a Federal Representative for the Abeokuta North/Obafemi-Owode/Odeda constituency.

These families exemplify the ongoing political influence and legacy that continue to shape Nigerian governance, with the next generation stepping up to leadership roles across the country.

The Nigerian Army has revealed the burial arrangements for the former Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Taoreed Lagbaja.

Last Wednesday, the Nigerian Government announced the death of Lagbaja.

In a special circular issued by the Nigerian Army via its verified social media accounts on Tuesday night, Lagbaja’s burial is slated for Friday, November 15, 2024 at the National Military Cemetery in Abuja. The final interment is slated to hold between 2 pm and 6 pm.

Funeral service will be held between 10 am and 12.45 pm at the National Christian Centre Abuja on November 14, 2024.

The Service of Songs will be held between 5 pm and 7 pm on Thursday, November 14, 2024 at the Army Headquarters, Garrison Parade Ground, Mogadishu Cantonment, Abuja.

Lagbaja, 56, died on November 5, 2024 after a protracted illness. The presidency on Wednesday, November 6, 2024 confirmed his death.

"Announcement of the Passing of Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja. President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, regrets to announce the passing of Lt. General Taoreed Abiodun Lagbaja, Chief of the Army Staff, at age 56.

"He passed away on Tuesday night in Lagos after a period of illness. Born on February 28, 1968, Lt. General Lagbaja was appointed Chief of Army Staff on June 19, 2023, by President Tinubu," 
a statement by presidential spokesman, Bayo Onanuga, said.

SaharaReporters had exclusively reported how the Army General was flown abroad by his family members to attend to his medical needs.

Sources described his ailment as “strange” to SaharaReporters.

President Tinubu has made Lieutenant General O.O. Oluyede the acting Chief of Army Staff (COAS), following Lagbaja’s demise.

Wednesday, 13 November 2024 12:52

NDLEA Seizes 709.9kg Of Illicit Drugs In Kano

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, NDLEA, seized 709.979kg of illicit substances in October in Kano state.

This was disclosed in a statement signed and released by the spokesman for the agency’s Kano Command, ASN Sadiq Muhammad-Maigatari, on Wednesday.

The State Commander of the agency, Mr Abubakar Idris-Ahmad, said in the statement that the command also arrested 129 suspects.

“All the 129 suspects are males.

“The total illicit substances recovered under the period is 709.979kg, which is made up of  309.991kg of cannabis sativa.

”Others are 394.835kg of various psychotropic substances,comprising 741,600 tablets of Tramadol, 2.789kg of pregabalin and 0.027kg of methamphetamine, among others,
” he said,


According to him, under the period, the command secured 22 convictions.

“These convictions serve as a deterrent to those involved in drug-related activities and underscores the agency’s dedication to enforcing the law.

“The suspects arrested have been profiled, and those who deserve prosecution have been charged to court, while others have been referred to the counseling unit for support and rehabilitation,” 
Idris-Ahmad said.

He commended the Chairman/Chief Executive Officer of the NDLEA, Brig.-Gen, Mohammed Marwa (Rtd), for his unwavering support and encouragement, which have significantly contributed to these achievements.

The commander also commended the Kano State Government and all other stakeholders for their collaboration and assistance in the ongoing fight against drug abuse.

“The command will continue to work tirelessly in collaboration with all other stakeholders to combat drug trade and promote awareness of the dangers associated with drug abuse”
 he said


Idris-Ahmad called on the general public to join the fight against drug abuse and trafficking by reporting any information to the agency through its dedicated hotlines “0800 1020 3040”.

The CEO of Telegram, Pavel Durov is offering free In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) treatments to women willing to use his sp3rm.

His offer is an effort to help women struggling with infertility.

Apart from offering sp3rm, Durov would also be paying for all IVF procedures through his partnership with the Altravita fertility clinic.

“We are happy to offer you a unique opportunity! Only in our clinic can you undergo IVF for free, using Pavel Durov's sp3rm-one of the most famous and successful entrepreneurs of our time,” a message on Altravita's website reads.

The clinic has pledged to offer top-tier care, working with some of the leading specialists in reproductive health and using state-of-the-art technology to ensure the best possible outcomes.

The process for women wishing to participate is simple but selective. Interested individuals can reach out to Altravita to schedule an initial consultation.

Earlier, in a post on Telegram, the CEO disclosed he fathered “over 100 biological kids” over 15 years.

“I was just told that I have over 100 biological kids. How is this possible for a guy who has never been married and prefers to live alone?” he wrote.

He recounted the story of how a friend first approached him for a sp3rm donation 15 years ago.

“He said that he and his wife couldn't have kids due to a fertility issue and asked me to donate sp3rm at a clinic for them to have a baby,
” said Pavel, adding that though he initially laughed it off, he realised later that his friend was serious.


Eventually, he agreed, setting in motion a series of donations that would go on to impact many families.

He wrote, “Fast forward to 2024, my past donating activity has helped over a hundred couples in 12 countries to have kids. Moreover, many years after I stopped being a donor, at least one IVF clinic still has my frozen sp3rm available for anonymous use by families who want to have kids.”

“The shortage of healthy sp3rm has become an increasingly serious issue worldwide, and I'm proud that I did my part to help alleviate it,
” Durov added.