Monday, 16 March 2020 03:53

Abule Ado explosion: We’ve recovered 17 dead bodies – LASEMA

Navy hospital treats 55 injured victims


The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, on Sunday said it has recovered 17 dead bodies from the Abule Ado explosion.

LASEMA’s Director General, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, while giving situation report on the tragedy, said upon the arrival of LASEMA’s Response Team, LRT, at the incident scene, it was discovered that a raging fire had displaced several residents who fled their abodes for fear of being caught up in the inferno.

“The primary cause of the explosion is unknown . There were a number of secondary explosions which have caused significant damage to multiple buildings, including the leveling of a church to ground zero and the destruction of St Margaret’s girls hostel.

“The causes are yet to be determined while security agents are investigating the cause of the explosion, recovery and rescue activities were carried by the Ministry of Special Duties ,LASEMA, men of the Lagos State fire service crew, Federal fire service department, Safety Commission, LABSCA and other first responders,” he said.

Oke-Osanyintolu said “17 bodies have been recovered while 25 casualties are being treated for injuries on site. We sympathise with the families of the dead and wish the injured quick recovery. We appeal for calm and urge residents to shun fake news.

“Operation is still in progress. Updates will continue through the course of operation while investigations remain ongoing.”


Navy hospital treats 55 injured victims

Fifty-five victims of Sunday’s gas explosion at Abule Ado in Lagos were treated at Nigerian Navy Reference Hospital, Ojo, Western Naval Command (WNC) Spokesman, Thomas Otuji, said.

The figure of casualties was different from the 25 given by Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, head of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency(LASEMA)

Otuji said the Navy Fire Service Unit trucks from NNS WEY, Naval Ordnance Depot, Naval Air Base, were also deployed to assist in fighting the fire, which started after the explosion at 9:30 a. m.

The hospital also felt the impact as it caused substantial damage to the ceiling.

“Fifty-five persons were attended to, made up of 36 school children and 19 adults.

“One of the adults had about 35 per cent mixed degree burns with inhalation injuries and pulmonary edema.

“He has been admitted into the Intensive Care Unit and connected to a ventilator, seven other adults and two children are on admission in the wards.

“Two adults had traumatic brain injury and were referred to LUTH for neurosurgical intervention. The remaining 43 have been treated and discharged.

“Three people were brought in dead comprising of two females and a male,” the Navy Spokesman said.




Read 2911 times